The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering-men of the 137th Staffordshire Bde

Doug Lewis

Remembering the men of the 137th (Staffordshire) Brigade who on this day 1915 were killed in action while attacking the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

214 men of the South Staffordshire Regiment and 197 of the North Staffordshire Regiment.

“As the artillery preparation grew more intense and the time for the advance approached, the enemy machine-gun fire was playing with such effect upon the assembly trenches that the C.O. was compelled to report to the Brigade the apparent futility of any movement. The time-table had to be carried out, none the less, and at 2.5pm on a perfect autumn afternoon in bright sunshine “A” and “C” Companies advanced in accordance with orders “B” and “D” Companies following at their appointed distance.

As soon as the extended lines of infantry began the advance their position became clear. The enemy on the left were able to direct an enfilade fire at close range upon our men, who ,advancing over open ground, presented an easy target.”

War History Of The 6th South Staffordshire Regiment. 1924.

We Will Remember Them.

Regards Doug.

Also remembering the sacrifice of the officers and men of 137th (Staffordshire) Brigade 89 years ago today.

Sergeant Caleb Norton, "C" Company, 1/6th North Staffords:

"As soon as my platoon got over, I had Cpl. Fradley shot dead. The next I saw was Private Marsh badly bleeding. He asked me not to leave him. I called for stretcher bearers. Next I saw Captain Jenkinson shot through the leg. He fell and the stretcher bearers came to him, and they were also shot down. One was killed - Pte. Neville of my platoon - three were wounded. The next I saw was Staff Sergt. Platts and Kenney shot and several more.

I then advanced into the first line trench. I found about all the officers had been shot. I got my men together then rushed into the second line trench without losing a man in my platoon on the second rush. I think there was a great mistake in rushing the first time in short rushes. We lost a lot of men by doing so. A rush straight across would have been a success. We were all exposed to fire. I dropped into a shell hole. I stopped in the first trench for about ten minutes. I told the men to prepare to advance into the next line of trenches about two hundred yards away without halting and they did. I was very pleased to know all got across without a man getting hit.

I then got an order from Colonel Radcliff to hold this trench. So this stopped us from advancing any further. Here I found us all mixed up with all sorts of regiments, South and North Staffords, Lincolns and Leicesters. We were having it very hot with bombs but we gave them more than they gave us. It was a fine bit of work to see young Schofield of my platoon running the Germans up the communications trench with bombs. I never expected him to come back but he did in an awful sweat - he had used all his bombs.

Next I met Lance Corp. Mallett. He had been over the top and fetched in two wounded. I begged him not to go over again. He would not be persuaded by me. He went - did not go far before he was hit never to rise again. It was a case of several men throwing their lives away trying to save the wounded. But it was murder to go.

I walked along the trench. I witnessed a terrible sight of men killed and wounded and no stretcher bearers to be found. Men were in awful pain. I dressed a lot of wounds and then sent them out of the trench. Them that could not walk had to lie in the trench in awful pain for twelve to eighteen hours or more.

By this time it was getting dark, and I thought it was a good opportunity to get in some of the wounded we could. First we got in Capt. Jenkinson (Talbot helped). He lay in the open for several hours for it would have been certain death to have gone out to him. After a struggle we got him in. It was a case of being cruel to be kind. As he lay on the fire step, he asked for a doctor. We could not do anything, for there was not an ambulanceman to be found. We made him as comfortable as we could. I could see he had been hit again, for he had an awful wound in his stomach. I watched over him. I could see he could not last long. He lasted about an hour. Then we put him in a small disused trench close by. We covered him over.

It was an awful night, foggy and damp. The enemy tried a counter-attack but were repulsed. At daybreak they continued to shell us. I found out that Sergt. Hayward had been hit by a shell but did not see him. All day long we stuck to the trench expecting a counter-attack, but it was an artillery duel all day long. About four o'clock we had news that we were going to be relieved at nine o'clock, but unfortunately did not get relieved until seven the next morning by the Guards.

I shall never forget that Saturday morning when we left the trenches. The spectacle presented was that of a true battlefield. In a tangle of torn barbed wire were to be seen the scattered bodies of the slain - many of them being held up more or less in an upright position. This is where I saw the last of the Captain. I had the unpleasant job to search him. I had to take everything from him and make a list of things he had on him. I should have liked some of his things in remembrance of him but the only things I had was his collar badges and stars which I hope to keep in remembrance of him. Next we had the order to file out. I had to get to the rear and see every man what was left was out of the trench. The Guards took over duties. I should say I was the last man to see the Captain. I had a good look at him before leaving.

They took us to a place the other side of Vermelles. We halted and had breakfast in a farmyard. Here we were visited by the General and the Prince of Wales. He said he was proud of us. We had done all that was expected of us."

as vale says the day 'the flower of staffordshire's territorials had largely perished'

we will remember them

We remember not only those who fell, but those who survived and carried the scars, and the terrible images of this action for the rest of their lives.

Rest in peace.

Graeme