The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Bully Beef & Biscuits" - forthcoming book

John_Hartley

Coming soon, from Pen & Sword, “Bully Beef and Biscuits” (provisional title) tells the story of food during the war – what the men ate, how it was transported and cooked, and what they thought of it. It spans the whole period of the war, from the scraps of food eaten on the retreat from Mons, through the monotony of stew and bully in the trenches, to the celebrations of the armistice. It also tells the story of the bakers, butchers and cooks and it contrasts the food eaten by officers with that of the Other Ranks.

The book looks at the situation at home – profiteering, rationing and the changing role of women in society as they joined the Land Army. And, yes, there’s recipes as well – both army and civilian.

I trust that General (Colonel?) Long figures large in the narrative!

All the best,

Gary

Any mention of Deakin's jam or bully beef?

Debbie

What about Long?

All the best,

Gary

Any mention of Deakin's jam or bully beef?

Debbie

That's a shame as Deakin's were large suppliers of bully beef during the war and at the beginning of the war also won a contract from the War Office to supply over 300 tons of jam to the men at the front which was packed in 700,000 1lb tins in 14,000 war office export cases. More info about the company can be found at: http://www.deakin.broadwaymanor.co.uk/deakin/deakin-jam-history.html

Deakin's had canning and jam manufacturing factories at Wigan and Toddington during the war.

John

Looks interesting, with or without the mysterious Colonel Long or Deakins jams and conserves. ^_^ I bought an earlier book on the subject, but was disappointed by the contents, as it was simply extracts from diaries and memoirs of foods eaten in various places and at various times. Informative, but not quite what i was expecting. When is 'Bully Beef and Biscuits' due out?

John,

I was only wondering as Samuel Pownall Deakin (who set up the Deakin Jam Business in Wigan - he was originally from Stockport) was my Great Great Grandfather so I would have been interested in any info about it as there seems to be so few records around. By the way John, my Great Grandfather married a Hartley!

Regards,

Debbie

I would have thought that Major General Sidney Seldon Long CB would have appeared. He was the Director of Supplies and Transport in the War Office from 1914-1916. As such, he forced a bill through Parliament to prevent the speculation in sugar and was instrumental in importing foodstuffs from overseas, such as using refrigerated ships to carry beef from Argentina. Quite a fascinating officer and one that would not let bureaucracy interfere with the provision of supplies for the troops.

All the best,

Gary

Debbie - Blimey, we're not related then, are we? There were lots of jam suppliers, as you suggest, although it's only Tickler's who ever seems to get mentioned and then only their "plum and apple".

Paul - based on my first book, I'd expect P & S to have a lead time of about a year.

Gary - Long cannot have been instrumental in wartime in the use of refigerated ships - the practice predates the war by some 20+ years. I cover the matter in the book.

John,

Noted. Here is an extract from a paper on WWI logistics that I wrote some time ago. It highlights some of Long's accomplishments. He is one of my role models for First World War logisticians which is why I was asking about him.

All the best,

Gary

Once the war started, the key to success was the ability to rapidly adapt to quickly changing circumstances. The QMG Department, under General Sir John Cowans, was able to do this while the MGO Department was not. This set the stage for the Shell Crisis of May 1915. The success of the QMG Department was largely due to the leadership of Brigadier-General S.S. Long, CB who was the Director of Supplies and Transport from 1914 to 1916. His forte was his ability to both see what action needed to be taken and to take decisive action, not withstanding any resistance encountered. The provision of rations provides a good example of his forcefulness. Upon mobilization, the plan was that the local peacetime contracts for provisioning the garrisons would cease and that the Army Contracting Office, based on QMG demands, would deal directly with the large wholesalers. This ensured the supply of food for the army and prevented local commanders from bidding up prices, which would have led to suppliers speculating and withholding stocks in hopes of greater profits. The increased production of the food factories threatened to overwhelm the small quality control inspection staffs. General Long promptly arranged for the local Medical Officers of health and their inspection staffs to take over this work, which ensured that quality was maintained.[ii]

Sugar was deemed to be an essential part of the daily diet for both the military and the civilian population.[iii] When the sugar wholesalers started to withhold quantities and raise their prices, General Long called their bluff by causing a general requisitioning act to be passed by Parliament in less than a day. Similarly, he arranged for the British Flag refrigerator ships to be placed in a central pool controlled by a special committee of the Board of Trade. As the largest consumer, Long was a prominent member of the committee. This act was critical to controlling the import of frozen meat from abroad.[iv] This centralized control of shipping would later be used to prevent American packers from selling meat to the Italians at inflated prices as was attempted in 1916. The Americans were told that if they did not follow the agreed prices, then no ships would be made available to transport their meat. Faced with the possible loss of the sale, the Americans soon came around.[v] Fodder for the horses and mules was another critical commodity. Working with the Board of Agriculture, the QMG Department quickly set up a large hay department. When stocks within Great Britain became inadequate, large quantities of hay were purchased in the United States. This was expensive both in terms of cost and in the amount of shipping space that was required. An agreement was also made to obtain hay from France.[vi]

Beadon. Page 66.

[ii] Beadon. Page 385.

[iii] L. Margaret Barnett. British Food Policy during The First World War. Boston: George Allen & Unwin, 1985. Page 30.

[iv] Beadon. Pages 388 to 391.

[v] Beadon. Pages 393 394.

[vi] Beadon. Page 399.

Looking forward to it. Anthony Clayton's recent (slim) book on British Army rations - which went up to the present - published by Helion was somewhat of a letdown, sad to say.

Has anyone any knowledge of Proparts jam being issued during the Great War? Richmond based and Quaker family owned I believe.