The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Batt Grenadiers

Guest HMJollies

Guest HMJollies

Im an Ex C/Sgt Royal Marines served for 22 years - now aged 84 and still going strong ------ my query is :----- My father joined the Grenadier Guards on the 8th November 1913 at Bury St Edmunds ( I might add, was under age) he was wounded in the left arm and shoulder and was discharged on the 10th January 1919. He was at Mons and was awarded thw Mons Star and believe it had an Oak Leaf on the ribbon - the medals were stolen so I am unable to vouch for that.

Is at all possible if you can tell me in what battle he was wounded - with the date of Mons I think it is possible that he was wounded later in the war ---- many thanks for any help you can give -------- PS - My father's Service number was - 16825 and he was in the 2nd Battalion. his name George Henry Hart.

Charles Hart

Mr. Hart

If no one on the forum can answer your question, you could contact the Grenadier Guards Archivist for copies of whatever service papers remain.

I don't have the full address but its at Wellington Barracks, London (they also have a great museum).

Kevin

Charles

The 2 Grenadier Guards were part of 2 Division until 20 August 1915, when they were transferred to Guards Division. The Guards Division were involved in all major battles and were heavily engaged in 1918. The Division returned to England between February and April 1919, so your father was discharged earlier.

It may be hard to know what battle he was wounded in. Have you checked to see if his service records survived or have you checked his medal card?

I think contacting the Greanadier Guards archivist would be a very good idea.

Firstly I recommend that you look on the website 'The Long Long Trail', which is packed full of information that I feel you will find interesting and relevant. It also has details of all the actions that Guards Division were involved in.

Good Hunting.

SEAN

Hello Charles

I can tell you the following about your father from my database of Grenadiers (a lot of which you already know!):

Private 16825 George Henry HART

Enlisted 8 November 1913.

To France with 2nd Bn. 13 August 1914.

Discharged 10 January 1919 with wounds.

Entitled to 1914 Trio (1914 Star despatched 19 February 1919); clasp and roses to Star issued in December 1931.

Awarded Silver War Badge No. B95606 (I have both the 1914 Star roll and SWB roll if you would like copies of the relevant entry in respect of your father).

I would certainly recommend contacting the Regimental Archivist (Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk); once you have more information on his Great War service, it would be relatively easy to determine the actions he took part in.

Incidentally, my great-Uncle also served with the 2nd Bn. (enlisting in 1912) and proceeded with them to France on 13 August 1914. Sadly, he was killed during the rear-guard action at Villers-Cotteretts in September 1914. Interesting to wonder if they maybe knew each other!

May I ask where you father hailed from?

Hope the above helps.

Rgds

Ed

I don't have the full address but its at Wellington Barracks, London (they also have a great museum).

Here we are

RHQ

The Grenadier Guards

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

LONDON

SW1E 6HQ

All The Best

Chris