The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German regimental histories

Chris_Baker

Aside from eBay and ABE, do pals have any recommendations regarding sources of German regimental histories? That is, to buy rather than loan?

I have purchased some very good cheap books [two of the scarcest official history volumes}from a dealer in Germany I will see if I can find his name for you

Have you asked Tom Donovan? He's rarely let me down over many years.

Chris for any book new or old, the starting point is www.bookfinder.com. Obviously you have to click the language for German. One of the things it gets over is the non cookie price adjustment, you get the base price from amazon for example.

The best German site is http://www.zvab.com/index.do.

Happy Hunting!

Barkalot was that Volume 13 and 14 of Der Weltkrieg?

Chris for any book new or old, the starting point is www.bookfinder.com. Obviously you have to click the language for German. One of the things it gets over is the non cookie price adjustment, you get the base price from amazon for example.

The best German site is http://www.zvab.com/index.do.

Happy Hunting!

Barkalot was that Volume 13 and 14 of Der Weltkrieg?

no they were the british volumes "east Africa" and "Togoland" brilliant condition and VERY cheap

Why, Charles? Is he selling his collection? :w00t:

I know which ones I seek. IWM hold copies of many of them on my list. Just wondering about availability of copies. There are a few of most of them on zvab (thanks MartH), priced pretty similarly to original British histories. Now just have to weigh up buying a few, compared to IWM's photocopying charges ...

Hello,

I own several hundreds of German regimental histories myself and I must say that eBay is the most interesting place to go hunting for them, unless price is not an issue.

You have to bear in mind that some regimental histories are extremely scarce though and may get very expensive if they ever pop up. Others are for sale regularly.

Jan

Jan has a fabulous collection, he will know. There are over 800 in total. I would use the German eBay directly not rely on eBay cross searches.

Does anyone know any good online bibliographies?

Chris

These books when available are typically very pricy. Those published on a large scale are naturally cheaper, but guards, cavalry etc can cost up to €250 each. Depending on what exactly you want, you might consider a visit to the Bundeswehr Military History office in Potsdam instead. The rail service from Berlin is cheap and excellent. The library, which is open to the public, holds about 1,600 histories. Photocopying is permitted and the last time I used the system it was 10 cents an A4 sheet. You need a large bag of euro coins with you. During my last visit, I copied 1,000 relevant pages from umpteen different histories in two days. Apart from access to the information, you get the bonus of a couple of nights in Berlin. There are other possibilities, but that is the one I know best and use the most. If you go down this route, get in touch and I can pass on further information.

Jack

No problem. As I mentioned contact me if you wish for suggestions on where to stay and how to get to Potsdam and on to the library.

Jack

Some WWI regimental histories have already been scanned. Most are familiar with Hathitrust, which is only available in the US, but there are a few elsewhere. Some of the ones from Hathitrust were available POD through amazon for a relatively low price, but in some the photos didn't scan, and in one of the books pages were missing. These same books, I later learned, were available free to view online here:

http://www.bookprep.com/

also, just came across this:

Reserve-Infanterie-Rgt. Nr. 27 im Weltkriege 1914/1918

http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=306324&from=&dirids=1&ver_id=&lp=1&QI=

Try this website - lots of regimental histories on CD. The website is somewhat disorganized, but I think you may find its contents worthwhile.

Regards,

Marc