The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Death plaque and M.M. reunited

GavinH

Today I had the satisfaction of reuniting a Military Medal and death plaque, and feel the need to tell someone about it! A couple of months ago, I bought a single MM named to 19687 L/Cpl F.W. Davidson, 26/Royal Fusiliers, on Speedbid. I was attracted to it as my Great Uncle had been killed while serving with this battalion. The medal came without any research. I tried the online MICs, but found no match using the name or number. I wasn't really concerned, as the London Gazette confirmed the award.

I few weeks later, I got the chance to check the MICs at the National Archives. I found nothing under Davidson, but did locate him under Davison. The MM not only had his name misspelt, but also had his number as 19678 instead of 19687! There was no doubt that this was the same man, as the battalion was shown as 26/RF and the MM was noted. The first stroke of luck was to discover that he had been commissioned, and killed in action while serving as a 2/Lt with the York & Lancs Regt.

Within a fortnight of this discovery, I was browsing on Ebay, and came across 'a unique Death Plaque named to an officer' - Frederic William Davison! Although the CWGC gives his name as 'Frederick', the seller, after checking probate records, had correctly concluded that this was the same man. This has since be confirmed by his service records. Today, the two were reunited.

A great piece of luck to find both within a few weeks, but even more extraordinary to find a MM being sold by a seller who didn't know it was to an officer casualty, and then to find his plaque being sold by a seller who didn't know he was a MM winner!

Gavin

(Anyone have a BWM and Victory pair to 2/Lt F W Davison for sale?!)

Today I had the satisfaction of reuniting a Military Medal and death plaque, and feel the need to tell someone about it! A couple of months ago,

Gavin,

Fantastic, mate. You must feel really happy that it's ended like this.

Robbie

Gavin,

Well done and congrats, nice job.

Andy

The first stroke of luck was to discover that he had been commissioned, and killed in action while serving as a 2/Lt with the York & Lancs Regt!

I take it the stroke of luck was yours rather than his? :unsure:

Andy

Yes. I see your point. I could have put that better. I did put a comma between, commissioned and KIA though! Probably should have been a full stop!

Anyway, thanks for your comments chaps.

Regards

Gavin

Congratulations Gavin; isn't there a tremendous feeling of pleasure when this happens? As someone who has ended up pairing memorial plaques with medal groups not once but twice because of my membership in this forum (and thanks to Ian B. and Derek R.) I certainly understand how you must feel!

Gavin:

Absolutely well done!

Right place at the right time-your research paid off in reuniting

them back together.

gordon

Congratulations Gavin; isn't there a tremendous feeling of pleasure when this happens? As someone who has ended up pairing memorial plaques with medal groups not once but twice because of my membership in this forum (and thanks to Ian B. and Derek R.) I certainly understand how you must feel!

Terry, I seem to remember the Legg plaque...however I must have missed your lucky second find?!

Please share...

David,

436507 Pte.Alexander Kerr, 49th Bn., KIA Mont Sorel. Derek Robertson found the plaque. Yes, I know there was more than one Alexander Kerr killed in WW1, but I am quite happy to have this plaque beside the trio.

It's always easier when the recipient had a unique name. The two plaques that I have as singles for 2nd Ypres are great examples:

- Arthur Reuben Ernest Wood, 8th Bn KIA

- Alexander Alan Henderson,15th Bn, Died as POW

If only I had the trios to go with them!

The first stroke of luck was to discover that he had been commissioned, and killed in action while serving as a 2/Lt with the York & Lancs Regt!

I take it the stroke of luck was yours rather than his? :unsure:

Andy

I concur with Lt Col MAX,

However that aside, well done on your work. It's nice to see people still care enough to do this detective work in their spare time.

The next trick is to reunite it with his family.

Yes, I know there was more than one Alexander Kerr killed in WW1, but I am quite happy to have this plaque beside the trio.

Terry,

I always say: Who could ever prove it wasn't his??? The Kerr group must look great now.

I had the same experience with the plaque that Ian B found for me, for 'Thomas Blackburn'. There are many by this name, BUT I just need one to make the group complete!

PS: Did I read you picked up a QSA/KSA 1914 Trio? Well done.

David,

Yes, a real beauty to the 1st Devons, KIA 6 Dec.,1914. Another trade with you know who in Halifax.

isn't there a tremendous feeling of pleasure when this happens?

There certainly is. This is the third time it's happended to me in the last two years. The others reunited were a 1914 Star & Victory Medal to a Sgt in the 1/Northumberland Fusiliers, and a Victory Medal & Plaque to a Sgt in the KSLI. Strangely enough, all three have been casaulties. I Still haven't managed to reunite a whole group yet, but can't complain!

Regards

Gavin