The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Land of Green Ginger

geraint

This is a book I was aware of due to the signature of a fellow member, but I was unaware of it. The Land of Green Ginger was written by Holtby in 1927 and refers to the "dark, narrow, mysterious road to Heaven, to Fairy Land..." It's written by Winifred Holtby of Rudston, Yorkshire, 1898 - 1935. Having served as a WAAC during the Great War, she befriended Vera Brittain and shared a London flat with her until her early death of kidney disease in 1935.

The Land of Green Ginger is a novel centered on the life and tribulations of a feisty young woman married to an officer veteran living with,and dying of consumption. The effect of the war on her husband, and on her life is the key aspect of this novel, and her relationship with others, outside her marriage, is brilliantly described in a feminist/suffragette way. I wasn't aware of this book until last week, and am still punch drunk from reading it.

Sounds intriguing, Geraint. I must look it up.

I was rather confused when I first saw your heading as I know the title as a children's book by Noel Langley, memorably read on Jackanory by Kenneth Williams. A completely different thing! I wonder who first-ever used the phrase... if it has another life than these two book titles (it also seems to be a street name in Hull).

A totally gripping read and very recommended as are others by Holtby. It is bar far one of the best books I've had the pleasure to read

Her 1924 novel 'The Crowded Street' draws on her time as a WAAC during the War.

Thanks Geraint and DJC, more books on their way to me.

Mandy

Jay - you were mentioned in dispatches in my op. I'd often thought why you had that as a signature - and it prompted me to buy the book when I saw it!

Jane - the Hull Yorkshire connection seems to explain the title. - though the precise reason evades me at the moment.

Sounds intriguing, Geraint. I must look it up.

I was rather confused when I first saw your heading as I know the title as a children's book by Noel Langley, memorably read on Jackanory by Kenneth Williams. A completely different thing! I wonder who first-ever used the phrase... if it has another life than these two book titles (it also seems to be a street name in Hull).

It's the Hull Street that came first SeaJane. A quick google found a variety of possible derivations but it appears to have been a street name well known in Hull since at least the eighteenth century. Holtby's South Yorkshire connections probably suggested the name, although isn't the book set in Lancashire?

David