The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ABBREVIATIONS PAGE 2

Guest deepathart

cheers mate!

no CB?

Of course VB would need no explanation.

Spessially to those introduced to its pleasures after growing up on EMU

With a photo of the factory on every bottle.

no CB?

Of course VB would need no explanation.

Spessially to those introduced to its pleasures after growing up on EMU

With a photo of the factory on every bottle.

Nothing like the old Emu Bitter.

I recall reading that in WW2 when a beer ration was issued to a NSW unit in the Mid East they were very upset as the beer was south australian not from NSW.

Wouldn't have thought they would have been to picky, but then again I've never had South Australian beer. <_<

Dee.

Like it! Anything U ommitted?

Made no rude comment re "thinking". Just as well.

BY the way, Who runs the Pub over there these days?

Andrew

Substitute Crow For Emu, and you still can't understand why they'd Jack-up? xxxx!

Pat

PS

Sorry! The xxxx comment was in-appropriate.

xxxx relates to QLD not NSW. Each tooheys own!

Once you go north of the border, Well, why would you?

Edited by bonza

Guest deepathart

Carlton, Swan and Little Creatures - never heard of the last one - no idea what they brew - don't drink the rotten stuff. Give me a good wine or Brandy and Coke anyday. They are the main breweries:(

Dee

Carlton, Swan and Little Creatures - never heard of the last one - no idea what they brew - don't drink the rotten stuff. Give me a good wine or Brandy and Coke anyday. They are the main breweries:(

Dee

Hi Dee

Little Creatures is located in Fishermans Harbour Fremantle, very nice place to spend a long hot summers day....................................................

Reading the WW1 letter of soldiers from Fremantle or who passed through while on the way to Europe, and many of the old Port Town's hotels are mentioned, especially those in the West End of Fremantle near the harbour. Up until five years ago there were still around 5 in this area, though unfortunately now Notre Dame University have bought out them all to turn into classrooms & student accommodation and there passes by a tangible link with those diggers who had their last drinks on Australian soil in these pubs :(

Many still talk about the various battles between the Kiwis, Aussies & Americans in WW2 down the main street.

Many still talk about the various battles between the Kiwis, Aussies & Americans in WW2 down the main street.

And of the various nationalities as they lined up outside the "establishments" of Rose Street - right opposite the shunting yards for the metropolitan network......

I believe they are all now respectible houses - those that are left.

Cheers

Edward

PS - Coopers Light Dinner Ale (now known as Coopers Pale Ale or "Green Label") - mother's milk!

Guest deepathart

Andrew.

Have been past it on the way for a feed of "fish and Chips" but never gone in - don't really drink - can't stand the smell of beer - if they have coffee I might just drop in this Summer - when it gets here !! <_<

Its certainly "Brass Monkey" weather - Bonza work that one out. :D

XXXX to all

Cheers

Dee

Too easy.

A stack of Cannon Balls forming a pyramid was called a Brass Monkey.

Under extreme cold, the individual balls would contract, but, due to inconsistencies in the composition of said balls, the pyramid was wont to topple.

The term would still have relevance over there. As the cannon balls are probably the in-thing for a place consistently 2 hours & 200 years behind the good guys.

Along similar lines you tell me how an Orang utang got its name?

BY the way, Who runs the Pub over there these days?

Dee.

That was supposed to be a put down!

One Pub town, One Horse town.

Bloody Breweries! They're destroying Civilisation as we knew it.

Guest deepathart

Bonza,

Read it wrong. At least we don't have to change the time to keep up with the world who is behind the time now or have you caught up again. :D

Dee

A stack of Cannon Balls forming a pyramid was called a Brass Monkey.

Under extreme cold, the individual balls would contract, but, due to inconsistencies in the composition of said balls, the pyramid was wont to topple.

"Brass Monkey weather", eh Pat? My goodness i haven't heard anyone other than myself say this since i've been in old Blighty.

It was one of Grandad's famous funnies.

:lol:

Robbie