The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Indian Army on the Western Front

Steven Broomfield

On Topic.

Spoilsport.

Actually, the book dispels quite a few myths, I'd say, the khukhuri one among them

Spoilsport.

Actually, the book dispels quite a few myths, I'd say, the khukhuri one among them

Huzoor.....and the idea that Goorkhas (sic), Gurkhas, Hazaras and Pathans could not operate in the cold. The critics clearly had never been in the Himalayas or the Swat or the Kabool or the Khyber Pass (where incidentally the (East) Essex Regt met their destiny with the elements) and seen what cold really meant or seen the operations in the North West Frontier. The same nonsense was claimed in 1982 with 7 GR three generations later..

Further spoilportness: 57th Wilde's Rifles and the 39th Garhwal Riles strike me as Regiments that need to be re-appraised in a positive light.

Gunga Din

Right Flank Rear.

39th Garhwal Riles...need to be re-appraised in a positive light.

Gunga Din

Right Flank Rear.

I have Drake-Brockman's book, which is a real pleasure, and through my contacts at the Gurkha Museum I can access the more official history (author's name escapes me); they certainly come across as a very under-rated outfit.

Indeed, Morton-Jack is extremely interesting in his opinions on the "class" regiments of the Army in India.

It really is a very good book.

Copy arrived today - from the intro and the first chapter it was well worth the wait. The author hoax certainly done his home work. Not least I am delighted to see Gordon Corrigan extensively quoted.

• 8 months later...

I have Drake-Brockman's book, which is a real pleasure, and through my contacts at the Gurkha Museum I can access the more official history (author's name escapes me); they certainly come across as a very under-rated outfit.

Indeed, Morton-Jack is extremely interesting in his opinions on the "class" regiments of the Army in India.

It really is a very good book.

Garhwal Rifles won 2 of the first 5 Victoria Crosses awarded to Indian Corps in WW1 besides a lot of other medals. Only Indian regiment to be awarded the honor of 'Royal'.

The 'Evatt, Brigadier-General J. (Compiler), Historical Record of the 39th Royal Garhwal Rifles, Volume 1, 1887-1922' is the book you are indeed referrering to.

Thanks so much for your help.

Amit