The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The new 3 Volume Cambridge History WW1- Has anyone read yet?

yelob

Looks very interesting, I was just wondering if anyone has read/thought about investing in it.

Thanks,Liam

Hi Liam,

I haven't read it but I do have all 3 volumes at my disposal and I personally think that it's worth buying if you can afford it. There are various essays on different aspects of the war usually about 20-30 pages in length though some are a bit longer. The collection basically covers all aspects of the war and one of the great things about it is that it includes bibliographical essays that give you recommendations about further reading. There's a bibliographical essay of about a page or a page and a half for each chapter. Furthermore, lots of different authors participated in the writing of the history, all experts in their subjects. This is a scholarly general history covering practically all aspects of the war and even if you are looking for more detail, the bibliographical essays will probably help you find other works to read.

It is a lot of money, but Amazon will let your trade it in for a £12 voucher :w00t:

Thanks Fingolfin for the feedback. I took a chance and invested in one of the volumes.

From what I have seen of it, it rather depends on what you are after: essentially the 'military' aspect of all theatres is covered in one volume, so it will not liklely satisfy that particular market (to take a couple of examples, Currie gets a fairly brief mention and Monash hardly any at all). If your interests are socio-political-economic (and this is what one might expect from Jay Winter, given his interests in the socio-cultural etc aspects of the war), then this may well be up your street. To date I have seen no reviews except those on offer on A --- n.

Thanks Nigel, that's why I went with Vol2 and hopefully Vol3 to follow as these are the aspects of the war that really interest me at the moment.