The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forthcoming post card books on WWI

Indefatigable

Not really a book review but merely a heads-up on some forthcoming books using postcards as a medium for those that are interested. Having checked with the mods it has been suggested that I show a link which is as follows however the website does not mention these forthcoming books.

Their website is www.postcardcollecting.co.uk

The publisher is Reflections of a Bygone Age who publish a monthly magazine of picture postcards as well as various titles on picture postcards.

On 15th May 2014 they will be publishing the first six books in a series that focuses on particular aspects of the 1914-18 war as seen on picture postcards.

The titles are:-

No.1 - Patriotism on old picture postcards

No. 2 - Joining Up on old picture postcards

No. 3 - A Tale of Two Soldiers on old picture postcards

No. 4 - Northumbria at War 1914-18 on old picture postcards

No. 5 - Faces of the First World War on old picture postcards

No. 6 - Propaganda in the First World War on old picture postcards

regards

Indefatigable

The booklets mentioned above are being produced by Brian Lund, the editor of Picture Postcard Monthly.

Anything published on Great War postcards is very welcome.

For the Shire series of books, author Peter Doyle recently produced a bright colourful book on British Postcards of the First World War, which is a good introduction to postcards of the period.

Complete colour throughout.

The Holts also produced two books on postcards - one for each world war, about 15 - 20 years, both of which illustrate a vast range of postcards from all the nations involved, which I highly recommend. Illustrated in colour and black & white.

A collector / dealer Geoff White also produced a really excellent book on all the known ranges of postcards, illustrating the British Army - from the Boer War to the Present Day - probably issued 10 - 15 years ago. Colour cover, but black & white illustrations throughout.

Hi

Just to follow up on the above posts, Reflections of a Bygone Age have an excellent track record of publications and Picture Postcard Monthly is probably read by almost anyone with a real interest in postcard collecting and regular attends postcard fairs. There is usually some WW1 or related content.

I would also mention John Laffin's World War I in Post Cards, which isn't a bad book on the subject. It was published in 1989 and is readily available on eBay. Images De Poilus by Francois Pairault (2002) is a beautifully produced book on the subject from the French perspective. Does anyone know of anything similar produced re German postcards?

David