The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Coy, Canadian Machine Gun Corps

Jacob

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is that Machine Gun Companies were not (so far as I know) grouped into battalions. Early in the war there was a machine gun section in each infantry battalion, but in 1916 these were pulled out and re-formed as part of the artillery under Divisional command. The 7th Canadian Machine Gun Company served in the 3rd Division. Of course, the infantry battalions retained (and expanded) their Lewis gun sections.

I hope this is what the question refered to.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is that Machine Gun Companies were not (so far as I know) grouped into battalions.

I shall correct myself. In fact the Divisional Machine Gun Companies were grouped into Battalions late in the War. The 3rd Canadian Machine Gun Battalion took over the companies of the 3rd Division (including the 7th Co.) on March 23, 1918.

Hi James. Thanks for your reply. I would be interseted in the 7th Coy., Canadian Machine Gun Corps during 1917. They would have had a Canadian Machine Gun Corps cap badge with no number then, right?

Bill

Jacob

The Machine gun companys in some cases had badges for the most part they are very scarce. To my knowlege the 7th did not have a badge and would have most possibly worn the general issue badge of which there is a number of variations.

Best regards

N.S.Regt

Bill

The general issue badge one variety has a crown over crossed machine guns another is the same with a "Canada" in a scroll at the bottom and yet another has crown machine guns on a maple leaf with a "Canada" scroll at the bottom. You will find slight varations of these badges depending on the makers, ect. hope this helps

Regards

N.S.Regt.