The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German regimental "Festschrift"

roel22

My German great-grandfather Heinrich Unland was a soldier in the RIR 238, so I'd like to find as much info on this regiment as possible.

I already have the war diary, but now I found out there also is the "Festschrift zum 10jährigen Regimentsjubiläum des Reserve-Infanterie-Regiments 238". A book/magazine published for the 10 year anniversary of this regiment in 1924.

I may be able to order it from a library in Munich, but it will cost me 22 euro.

Does anybody have an idea whether books like this are worth reading and what they may contain?

Roel

I have several of these. They amount to expanded programmes of events. In other words they will supply all the information relating to the reunion, but many of them also contain articles or personal accounts written specially for the Festschrift. It is potluck what you get but, in one such, I came across the best description of the assault on the Heidenkopf near Serre on 1 July 1916 I had ever seen. Look on it as a lucky dip. Some will be useful, other less so, but they are all rare.

Jack

Hello,

Jack is right. Some are very interesting, others are just commercials for the cafés and hotels where the veterans could stay during the festivities.

There is a small 180 page booklet about RIR 238, a kind of unofficial regimental history. This is quite good.

I have it in my bookshelves.

Jan

My German great-grandfather Heinrich Unland was a soldier in the RIR 238, so I'd like to find as much info on this regiment as possible.

I already have the war diary, but now I found out there also is the "Festschrift zum 10jährigen Regimentsjubiläum des Reserve-Infanterie-Regiments 238". A book/magazine published for the 10 year anniversary of this regiment in 1924.

I may be able to order it from a library in Munich, but it will cost me 22 euro.

Does anybody have an idea whether books like this are worth reading and what they may contain?

Roel

Happy Liberation Day Roel!

If you have a university contact then you could ask them to get it though the international Library loan system - it is a free service in Turkey and so I would guess so in the Netherlands also

Thanks all for your replies - I think I'm going to order the book! It has 58 pages, who knows what valuable info it may hold (Jan, I think you are referring to the war diary written by Georg Herbrechtsmeier? That's the one I also have...)

And thanks for the tip, Trajan! I'll ask my sister, who works at a university...!

Roel

Thanks Ken! My great-grandfather wasn't around Passchendaele (he was safely in Berlin around that time, and not yet part of RIR 238). Still a fascinating read.

And he was a Gefreiter, so surely no mention of him in the Nachrichtenblatt...

Roel

The Nachrichtenblatt for the officers could still contain information that expands on what is contained in the regimental history. As with the Festschrift, it's not a sure thing.

Thanks again Trajan, for your University-tip. I asked my sister to order the book, it's on its way now (free of charge). Only a pity I didn't read Kens message sooner, or I could have added the Nachrichtenblatt as well. But I still may do it.

Roel

Some of the Nachrichtenblätter are just administrative publications of veteran's associations. They are not always very informative either.

One just has to be lucky a bit when ordering this kind of brochures (as I have experienced myself regularly).

Thanks again Trajan, for your University-tip. I asked my sister to order the book, it's on its way now (free of charge). Only a pity I didn't read Kens message sooner, or I could have added the Nachrichtenblatt as well. But I still may do it.

Roel

:thumbsup: To be honest, the inter-library loan system is how I get most of the books I need to consult and which I cannot find here - both work- and bayonets-related material! It can take a few weeks or even months, for something to arrive, but well worth the wait!