The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

67th Battery RFA...?

Trevelyan

Hi,

I recently picked up a 1914 Star Trio to the 67th Battery RFA, and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on its service in France and then, I believe Salonika. I also believe that the Battery come from India at the outbreak of hostilities (my trio is named to an Indian), but I was wondering if someone could confirm this. Lastly, was the Battery entitled to the 1914 Star, or the 1914-15 Star?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Christopher

67th Battery, RFA served throughout the war with XX Brigade, RFA in the 27th Division. On 23 November 1914 the battery was at Edinburgh with I Brigade, RFA. It then transferred to XX Brigade and was brought up to four guns on 30 November 1914. This would seem to indicate that the brigade did not get to France until at least 1 December 1914. I have the 1914 Star rolls for officers of the Royal Artillery and no officer from that battery received the 1914 Star.

Regards. Dick Flory

Guest birdflightless

Christopher,

I can add the following info; The 27th division arrived in France, on or about New year 1915, and they were in Salonika by the end of January 1916.

Hope this helps

Regards

Stewart

Guest Hangleton

If I have correctly read my gt grandfathers service record (which is by no means certain!), they were in Salonika in July 1916 (that is when he gets posted), then on board a ship for Alexandria between 18/09/1917 and 27/09/1917, then in Egypt from 28/09/1917 until at least 03/09/1918.

Can't go any further as he gets posted elsewhere.

Hope that helps

Thanks guys for the responses. Perhaps he want over earlier with supplies, logistical equipment etc...

Take Care,

Christopher