The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What exactly did an orderly in the Great War do? It was that question that brought me to this book which indeed answered my question. In short, a World War 1 orderly was, "a cross between a valet and a waiter, with a subtle dash of chambermaid."

With no shortage of humor, I also learned how dirty laundry was exchanged for clean at London's 3rd General Hospital, the advantages of plain army huts over fancy converted civilian buildings, nickname for Scots (it was 'Jocks'), a list of slang terms coined during the Great War (including "goes in off the deep end" and "nothing to write home about"), how frustrating it is to clean the "scorched high-tide-mark of tapioca or sago from the shores of a large metal pudding-basin," and laughed aloud at tales of blind patients making a game out of 'riding' the escalator.

Told as a series of anecdotes, Mr. Muir bought the duties of orderlies to light, while giving a peek at the inner workings of one of London's hospitals and the men who recovered there.

This quick read is available free online here. PM me if you would like my notes.

~Ginger

Edited by catfishmo