The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Day We Won The War - Charles Messenger

hazelclark

This is one of the books that I picked up in Scotland recently, and I must say that I wished that I had found this author before. To be honest, it was the title that drew me to it, because I had always felt that Amiens was the turning point, although I didn't know much of the detail of the battle. I knew that the Australians had a large part in it but not much else.

Anyway, Messenger describes the situation on the Western Front in 1918, and then proceeds to take us through the battle describing how the Allies had really mastered the use of integrating the various branches of the services such as army, air force, tanks etc., as well as combined armies. This was a truly international battle with the Australians, Canadians French and British armies all participating. He concludes with an overview of the consequences, and why Ludendorff called this particular battle the "Black day for the German Army".

It is truly a readable book and despite some of the technical stuff, I learned a lot, about which I had previously no idea.

Hazel

Charles is a Forum member and a very well regarded author. Got a couple of his books on my shelves one of which I used for reference purposes (with a credit) for a forthcoming book wot I have ritten.

Bernard

Charles is a Forum member and a very well regarded author. Got a couple of his books on my shelves one of which I used for reference purposes (with a credit) for a forthcoming book wot I have ritten.

Bernard

So wot's the book wot you have ritten?

H

Will put Charles' book on my list. Like Hazel know little about this period of the war. Thanks for the tip.

Ant

An excellent book, and one I will return to (I have a signed copy) He is also gave an excellent talk on the subject at the forum Conference a couple of years ago. from which, I learned much.

Mike

Charles also gave a talk at this year's conference entitled "How the British Army mobilised for war in 1914"

Not only is he an accomplished author and speaker, but he is also a thoroughly nice gentleman (and he has many a good story to tell to boot!).

A very commendable book and one that has remained on the shelf after Mrs Dubaya had a spring clean. However the dust jacket of this book is probably the worst cut and paste job I've seen although this is not the work of CM but of some publishers PA no doubt

the dust jacket of this book is probably the worst cut and paste job I've seen although this is not the work of CM but of some publishers PA no doubt

Indeed. It appears in this thread, in post 22. Click

Mike

Charles also gave a talk at this year's conference entitled "How the British Army mobilised for war in 1914"

Not only is he an accomplished author and speaker, but he is also a thoroughly nice gentleman (and he has many a good story to tell to boot!).

Kim

Stop making me blush!

Charles M

Stop making me blush!

Just possibly all of the praise is well-deserved!

• 1 month later...

I've read Charles Messenger's book on the BEF, "Call to Arms" ... amazing.

so this one's going on my (already very long) reading list also !!

MM.