The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Murders in Theatres of War

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Does anyone share in the opinion,that there were instances among the British and Commonwealth Forces that unpopular Officers were "dealt with" by the Men under their command.I do have corrroborated evidence to this which was related to me by a deceased veteran.Has any body else got views or questions on this subject.

Does anyone share in the opinion,that there were instances among the British and Commonwealth Forces that unpopular Officers were "dealt with" by the Men under their command.I do have corrroborated evidence to this which was related to me by a deceased veteran.Has any body else got views or questions on this subject.

Yes I agree that this is a strong possibility given that the servicemen represented the whole spectrum of human nature in terms of class, personalites etc.

And isn't it the case that evidence of this kind of behaviour has been shown to exist in other wars?

Robbie

There've been a couple of threads in the past on this subject of "Fragging" (to coin a phrase from a later war -Vietnam), but I can't remember the titles.

I've read an account from a Sgt who later won the DCM who mentions how close a certain officer was to "disapearing in the Flanders earth" if he came out on patrol with them. Lucky for that particular officer, he was ordered to stay behind and lived to become PM in 1940!

Dave.

Yes I agree that this is a strong possibility given that the servicemen represented the whole spectrum of human nature in terms of class, personalites etc.

And isn't it the case that evidence of this kind of behaviour has been shown to exist in other wars?

Robbie

I fully concur with this answer. People tend to forget about the psychological side of war, and the actions some people will take when they feel threatened by an external factor they think they can control.

This does not exactly fit your criteria, however it is an example of something very similar which I read in ‘Tommy’ by Richard Holmes

“In September 1917 a drunken soldier in 13/Royal Fusiliers yelled ‘Over the top! Over the top! We’re coming for you’ before an early morning attack. An officer ordered ‘Keep that man quiet.’ And presently the noise stopped. When I went along the next day I found him, very quiet. Someone had stuck a bayonet into him.”

If I have read Holmes’ notes correctly then I think that it is originally from Guy Chapman’s ‘Passionate Prodigality’ p.205

Regards

Michael D.R.

I expect some settling of old scores and grudges amongst men who knew each other pre war also happened.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Harry Lauder's son is thought to be a definite case of 'fragging' by his own men and his case has been discussed many times before on the forum.

I suspect that there were more cases than we will ever know for certain.

Ian

Hi Ian,i had not been aware of this case,if you have time could you bring up to speed on it ?....Cheers..Russell.

Some years ago I interviewed a veteran of the Northamptshire regiment Machine Gun section who told me, and I'm quoting now from memory:

"Well there was one of them officers out there and he was a real son of a gun. He gathered us up one day and told us that 'I know that some of you would like to shoot me out there in no-man's-land.' Well, I don't know whether I would have done it or not but we didn't see him again after that, I don't know what happened to him."

Apparently the danger of being taken out by one of your own men during the confusion of battle was well known by the front line officers.

Brian M

I should imagine that Battle police and maybe unpopular members of the Provost came in for their share of problems in and out of the front line.

Perhaps people in Glass houses shouldn't mark your target at dot gov dot uk or leave laptops lying around or stuff on harddrives or woteva.

The old "loose lips sink ships" has problee been updated.

The views expressed ... should always be... of the management

Eh Skipper?

Love, DAD

Gidaay Dave

I'll go along with that,

wonder where that penny is jist now?

Bert [big brother]