The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Flying Corps query

AlanCurragh

Hello everyone – I am hoping the Pals can help out with my search for details pertaining to Airman Thomas George Reece of the Royal Flying Corps who died on 14.1.18 and is buried in Charmes Military Cemetery, south of Nancy. CWGC gives his address in Shrewsbury, and his unit as “No. 6 Aircraft Park”. I have posted on the Aerodrome.com forum regarding this, and got lots of useful information, but thought it would be worth trying here too. Someone has kindly checked “Airmen died…” for me, but it doesn’t give any more details.

1) Does anyone know where No 6 Aircraft Park was?

2) His medal card doesn’t have a lot of detail, unit is given simply as Royal Flying Corps and the Roll as RFC 101 B, Page 62. Is there any chance that this means he was in 101 Squadron? Or can anyone suggest a way to find out his squadron?

3) I’ll be checking the PRO for a service record, but would also like to look for the equivalent of a War Diary. Are these held at Kew? I know an Airman is unlikely to be mentioned here, but I’d still like to know what might have been going on the day he died.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

Alan

AMII T G Reece (99468) aged 43 from Shrewsbury, served in the 6th Aircraft Park at Vezelise. The cause of his death isn't shown in Airmen Died in the Great War, which suggests that it was from an illness.

An Aircraft Park was a holding unit for aircraft and parts until they were required by squadrons. The 6th Aircraft Park was associsated with the RFC's 41st (Bombing) Wing, which went on to be the nucleus of the Independent Force, RAF, in mid-1918. In early 1918 the 41st Wing consisted of: No 55 Sqn RFC [day bombers with the DH4]; No 100 Sqn RFC [light night bombers with the FE2b]; and 'A' Sqn RNAS [heavy night bombers with the Handley-Page O/100].

I hope that this helps.

Gareth