The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd London Regiment

sixbeethree

Hello..I have been reading your Forum with grat interest over the last couple of weeks and see you are so helpful to new kids on the block. So here goes.. I am currently researching my grandfather who enlisted in Feb 1915 and embarked 10/5/15 to France.

I have his discharge papers which only states 3rd london Batt. When I key into any search engine I get 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3!

What are they? and how would i find out what one grandad was in.

Thanks for any help. I am confused and ended up with three boxes of war diaries to look thru the last visit to PRO.! Not a pretty sight.

Yes that was my first port of call after reading the Grandad section of this web site.

He got the SWB and MM plus the trio..and survived. Quite an achievement.However in the roll section it quotes TP/7/B2...amongst others. Is that any help.?

in my opinion!

your relative is 1/3 man

the 1/3 landed in france 7 jan15

the 2/3 landed gallipoli 25 sept 15 then france 24 apr 16 disbanded june 16

the 3/3 was renumbered to 2/3 and landed france 22 jan17

i am ready to be shot down

enoch

However in the roll section it quotes TP/7/B2...amongst others. Is that any help.?

Yes, you can use this page reference to check his entries in the medal rolls. (Unfortunately you have to look up this ref in the PRO itself as this is not online.) This reference tells you which volume of WO 329 you need to get. He should have one ref for each of the 14/15 star roll, BW&VM Roll and SWB roll.

The rolls have more info than the MICs which is only an index. "The meat is in the medal roll". Assuming that he is in the rolls for the 3rd Londons, the BW&VM Roll page for him will show the date he went overseas and the theatre i.e. (1) 10.3.1915 15.9.1916 where the number in brackets is the theatre (1) being W Front

The London Regt is uncommon in that its rolls are about the most detailed - it gives the dates of all periods spent overseas. Most other regiments or corps only give the theatres. (If the references have TP that means he is in a Territorial Force roll - so probably still 3rd Londons.)

Agree with Enoch that he would have started as a 1/3rd man, but you should check the medal roll pages carefully just in case he didnt serve in one of the other battalions at a later stage. I have been researching the 19th Londons which had two battalions which served overseas. I have men who served in both battalions. Typically they went to France with the 1/19th in 1915, were wounded at Loos, then recovered and were sent to the 2/19th which arrived in France on 24 June 1916. (I have men who went the other way too.)

You should ask Forum member lidzy who is building a nominal roll of 3rd Londons.