The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Field Coy. Canadian Engineers

Guest Stoner

Could anyone pinpoint the location around Ypres of the 3rd Coy. CE and if possible what activities they were involved in, I am interested as I believe several of the company were wounded by a bomb dropped from an aeroplane, one of the wounded men, CSM Frederick Bowles DCM MM, succumbed to his wounds 31/10/1917

Many Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, do you mean position as of October 1917? I believe 3rd Company CE was with 1st Cdn Division, and in October that would have meant 2nd Passchendaele, I think.

Peter

Hi Mark:

According to the CWGC web site your man died on Wednesday 24 October 1917. In Nicholson's official history, there is no mention made of 3rd Field Coy., Canadian Engineers during October. The Canadian Corps attack started on October 26 and ended with the capture of Passchendalele on November 6. The 1st and 2nd Divisions were held in reserve during the attacks on October 26-30.

However, there is an interesting footnote: "From the middle of October to mid-November a total of two miles of double plank road and more than 4000 yards of heavy tramline were constructed in the Canadian Corps area-at a cost of more than 1500 casualties." There is no mention of who was involved with the construction.

Garth

"at a cost of more than 1500 casualties." There is no mention of who was involved with the construction.

Garth/Mark: Desmond Morton indicates Brig. Gen. Lindsay organized 21 engineer companies and 9 pioneer battalions to work on the roads and construct new gun platforms, partly for the Australian Corps artillery the Canadians took over. The 1500 casualties resulted mostly from German shelling from the high ground, and from strafing and bombs from the air.

Peter

Guest Stoner

Thankyou Peter and Garth for the information, most helpful :)

With regards to his date of death, I hadn't noticed the discrepancy from my original post, my records also show CSM Bowles as having DOW 24/10/1917, my initial post was taken from a letter published in the local paper from his CO to his wife which (unless I read it wrongly) stated that CSM Bowles was wounded but thought likely to make a full recovery, unfortuanatley he died a week later, I don't have the copy from the newspaper at hand, but when I get it back I will check.

Incidently Frederick's DCM was gazetted 13th of February 1917 for similar work to which you describe:"45013 C./S./M. F. Bowles, R. Can. Engrs. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He displayed great courage and determination when in charge of the supplying and distribution of material, for building alternative gun positions."

Again thanks for your time

Mark

Guest Stoner

Thanks again Garth, I already have his and other local ( :blink: ) mens attestation papers from that excellent source, a shame that there isn't a similar online resource for British Servicemen.

Perhaps one day :lol: But thankyou for posting it!

With regards to the date of death, it was a complete misread on my part, I must learn to cross check things!

Hi Mark:

No problem. In fact, I view your CSM Bowles as a gift. For the last couple of weeks I've been studying various sources about the CEF from 21-AUG-17 (Lens) through 06-NOV-17 (Passchendaele). Thanks for bringing him to my attention. :D

Garth

Mark/Garth: That's the beauty of this forum. I saw the original post on the 28th, and thought some smart guy will answer that. Then on May 9th I felt ashamed (as a CEF buff) of the Zero replies so I decided to stick my oar in, and look where it led us . . . :)

Peter in sunny Vancouver B)

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark:

I've found a couple more pieces to this puzzle. It appears that all the CE field companies were using Ypres as a rest and billet area during October 1917. On October 24, Ypres was shelled and there were reports of several CE casualties. Sorry, no names were listed.

Garth

The project to make all unit War Diaries on line at the National Archives web site has been proceeding apace! I have just checked and they now have most of the Engineer and other units up. I transcribe the entry for the 3rd Field Company for 24Oct17 thus:

" Weltje Area C.27.b.1.0 Sheet 28 Company building and improving camp.

About 1.20 pm to 2:00 pm enemy areoplane bombed camp and the vicinity causing casualties. One OR killed and 8 OR wounded. Lieut R M Robertson

reported to Coy. from Cdn Engr(?) Pool for duty. One OR rejoined Coy.

from leave. Weather: wet. "

This seems to confirm the original story you heard.

Nice job James. I checked the NAC site in late May and the 3rd's diary wasn't listed at that time. This thread has been on my mind since Mark posted it three months ago. Thanks.

Garth