The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Book - The Great War Handbook - A guide for family historians &#38

Kitty55

Hi All

I picked up this book for a 1p and £1.27 p&p from Amazon and I couldn't put it down - even now I'm still referring to it when I have a query. As I've mentioned on other postings I'm not a war historian but have researched my local history for over 45 years.

The Book - The Great War Handbook - A guide for family historians & students of the great conflict by Geoff Bridger, ISBN 978 1 84415 936 9. Published by Pen & Sword Books Ltd.

It gives insights into

Chapter 1 - Prologue & Overview of the War

Chapter 2 - The Army

Chapter 3 - The New Soldier

Chapter 4 - The Trench

Chapter 5 - A Soldier's Life

Chapter 6 - Weapons of War

Chapter 7 - Death in its Many Forms

Chapter 8 - Army Corps

Chapter 9 - Medical Matters

Chapter 10 - Interesting Facts, Definitions & Statistics

Chapter 11 - A Guide to Visiting the Western Front Battlefields

Chapter 12 - Research Sources and Tips

As I said it'll be no use for those who know it all but for someone trying to find out more about their relatives or just basics behind what was happening. It's one of the best I've read and I've read many a history book over the years - I own around 2,000 factual books - nearly all on history. From witchcraft history to Anglo Saxon/Celtic/Dark Ages (my degree subject) to historical crime and Norfolk's local History.

What I particularly like about the above book is the way he describes things very simply without making you feel an idiot about the subject - not many authors manage this - i.e. I never had to look a word up in the dictionary or refer to another book to find out what he was talking about.

He covers items nobody else seems to or perhaps they just take it for granted that everyone knows. I.e. he describes how the trenches were laid out even down to their toilets etc.

It's in an easy to read format so if are like me sometimes having to do two or more things at once - watching puppies/grandchildren, cakes, etc. you can put it down in cases of emergency and then find where you were easily when you pick it up again.

The only drawback is perhaps that it was written in 2009 and so some of the mentioned websites have changed - but that's a small matter compared to what I've learnt from it.

I also write local history and witchcraft books - which for some reason I don't have any problems selling unlike others - perhaps I too am a simple writer - I like to think so otherwise how can the general public learn about their locality. Posh words have their place but are not always necessary.

Thanks and take care, Kitty

The Great War Handbook - A guide for family historians & students of the great conflict by Geoff Bridger, ISBN 978 1 84415 936 9. Published by Pen & Sword Books Ltd.

So who was responsible for such a misleading title ??

Geoff Bridger ?

Pen & Sword Books Ltd ??

Certainly not Kitty, who recommended it for what it is worth - and copied out the list of chapters for us to read, which made it clear.

Hi

for those who want a detailed book on the Great War try The History of The Great European War by W Stanley Macbean Knight written in 1918 - 1920. Out of print now and 10 volumes long - and yes the title says the European War but it covers all battles. Brilliant for photos and info - my history teacher left them to me in her will - she paid £20 for the set in 1922.

there are many others I could list but our 9 week old puppy is pulling hubby's slippers to bits (he's at work now) so must go

Thanks and take care, Kitty

• Admin

The book was reviewed when first published in 2009

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128245&hl=%2Bgeoff+%2Bbridger#entry1223535

It is helpful when reviewing books if the book title is included in the message title, especially if you are going to put it in the Book Reviews forum.

As for my own opinion I borrowed this book from the library but found it so basic I was not inclined to buy it.

There are many similar titles (and no doubt many more will be published in the ned four years), it is very much an introduction to familiar topics as the chapter headings show. All of these have been dealt with in greater depth but still accessible volumes, for example an account of 'A Soldier's Life' can be found in memoirs and 'Tommy' by the late Richard Holmes, the latter I refer to constantly. Having said that I think 'handbook' in the title gives a clue, in vehicle terms it's a brief description but to attempt a major service you'd need a 'workshop manual'. In other words if you want to know about other theatres then you would research those. It does have shortcomings outside the Western Front but much of the information can be applied to other theatres - and artillery shell is an artillery shell wherever you are, then again there are errors and many omissions as noted on the original thread.

In short things have moved on from 2009, and there is probably much more information being added to the WWW daily, which is probably why the book cost 1p rather than the published £19.99

As noted on the previous thread before making a critique perhaps one should at least look at the book.

Ken

Edited by SPOF
Edited to remove a reference to off topic posts

To All

I've now finished with this and won't be making any more suggestions on books even though I've found a few rare and unusual gooduns on WWI.

But nobody should forget that sometimes perhaps Local Historians such as myself probably know more about a soldier or depot in their locality than others who class themselves as experts on the Great War do.

thanks and take care, Kitty

Edited by SPOF
Edited to remove a reference to off topic posts

• Admin

I've removed several off topic posts and edited out references to them in some others. Can we please stick to discussing the merits or otherwise of the book?

Kitty

While the book will be of little interest to me or many other long term members of GWF, there are many newer members who may benefit from this book (but maybe more so from Kenf's ideas) so it is not a waste of time to post about them. Please continue to let us know of any others you find interesting no matter what the subject matter - as long it is GW related of course!

Glen

GWF Admin Team

PS I've also edited the title to show the name of the book under review.

Hi Glen

Thanks for that I was going to stop using the site.

The reason I joined it was to try and help others looking for details about Dereham in anyway as I have over 7TG of info. I've collected it over the last 45 years since I began at school. I managed to collect memories from old soldiers who fought in the Great War in the 1960's as well as a lot of photos - over 60,000 (about 1,000 on the Great War alone).

I've also got 100 years of Dereham's local paper photographed and documented.

It's very reassuring to know that admin take notice of what is happening on their site.

I just have one query I can't find help anywhere and I'm still having trouble in using the site as efficiently as I'd like to - can you point me in the right direction to find where I can get help - I can't find it at the top like many sites have placed it or anywhere else.

• Admin

Kitty,

Help is tucked away at the very bottom of the page in the middle. (I know it is hard to find but it is just the way the system is) AS you'll probably have questions not covered by Help, there is also the About This Website forum.

Glen

Hi Glen

Brill, 'me the moron' never scrolled down that far to look there - - looking forward to using the site more.