The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stumbled upon book Railway Manual (War) 1914. Such an unusual topic, I thought it might be helpful to someone studying ambulance trains or any other aspect of troop, supply, and horse movement during the Great War.

Book description reads:

"This 1911 manual on transporting troops by rail was reprinted with amendments after the outbreak of war in 1914. War by rail timetable - when vast numbers of men were moved by rail - was a vital part of the opening weeks of the war. The manual covers the general duties of railway transport personnel; the entraining and detraining of troops; the movement of stock supplies and animals; ambulance trains; armoured trains; the capacity of rolling stock and co-operation with and supervision of civilian railway personnel. It provides a very detailed picture of the organisation of railway traffic in wartime."

Also found a free online book here that might be a helpful companion Twentieth century manual of railway, commercial and wireless telegraphy ([c1914]). I had looked high and low (unsuccessfully) to find out how telegraph worked--not the technology of the equipment, but all the details about signatures, relaying messages, forms, etc. This book appears to give such detail as well as all the ins and out of telegraphy in a railway setting.

~Ginger

Edited by catfishmo

• 2 months later...

Dear Friend,

Please can you tell me any more about the book you have come across "Railway Manual (War) 1914" . It might not cover the time period I am interested in (Oct 1916) but may still give me some clues.

My grandfather was critically wounded on the 1st/2nd October 1916 at Le Sars near Albert, we only know part of the evacuation route so have no idea exactly which C.C.S. he was taken to as the next we hear about him is that he was taken to No. 6 General Hospital, Rouen, and on the 3rd October he died from his wounds.

I have been trying to find which Ambulance trains (their nos.) that were operating in that sector and at the times I have since found when they arrived in Rouen, but not where they started from. It is possible that the war diary might be able to help, except there were about 30 ambulance trains operating in France.

You mention time tables is there anything on Amiens, Albert or that area of the Somme.

Any help no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Bob Shaw

Dear Friend,

Please can you tell me any more about the book you have come across "Railway Manual (War) 1914" . It might not cover the time period I am interested in (Oct 1916) but may still give me some clues.

It was sort of silly for me to mention the book and then not mention where I saw the reference! Sorry about that... I saw it on Amazon here.

Scanning a bit more on Amazon, this book might be of interest to you as well: Trains to the Trenches: The Men, Trains and Tracks That Took the Armies to War 1914-18.

By pasting "Railway Manual (War) 1914" into the (USA) Amazon search, a few other books come up as well which might be of interest. You also might want to have a look at another thread I posted about ambulance train routes on this forum here. Some of those folks may be able to help you.

Regarding the two railway books I posted above, I did not read either of them so I don't have any more info. When I came across them I thought someone on here might be interested in the unusual topic so I posted the link.

~Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thank you for your prompt reply, just checked Amazon here in the UK they have a copy which all being well will be delivered tomorrow, so will be able to check for myself what it covers.

All the best...Bob.