The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Blinker" Hall Spymaster

susan kitchen

Saw advertised the other day a book titled "Blinker"Hall Spymaster. Seems he was Director for naval intelligence during WW1. Was one of the outstanding if largely unrecognized naval leaders of the conflict. It goes on to say that his dynamic leadership, talent for lateral thinking and force of personality were essential in defeating the the u-boats. Above all he was endowed with the guile and ruthlessness which kept him one step ahead of a formidable and dermined enemy and their widespread espionage and subversion operations.

The book is by David Ramsay 320 pages paperback Think it was about £18.99 but i expect can be found cheaper somewhere. Not my kind of book so wouldn't interest me but it might interest someone else.

It was first published in hardback by Spellmount in 2008 so this must be a reprint. I found it interesting when I bought a second hand copy about 3 years ago. My knowledge as in so many areas is insufficient to warrant a review.

Keith

Just ordered a copy. Will be interesting to see whether it's any more informative than Sir William James's hagiography of Hall.