The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

Pals

I'm sure they are some Warwicks men who will be able to give the location or Trench or details on where the 1/R War R were on the Somme on the 13th November 1916, was there any action on this day??????????

Scott :unsure:

Scott,

attached are pages 157 and 158, Chapter XX, from "The Story Of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment", by C.L. Kingsford.

1 R.War.R. were in 4th Division.

Regards

Richard

post-2-1098048910.jpg

There is a book on the battalion 'Seek Glory, Now Keep Glory' by John Ashby, which was published in 2000. To be honest, it focusses mainly on events of 1914, but there is coverage of the battalion's subsequent war career, based mainly on the battalion war diary. It was published by a small press (Helion and Co) and was quite expensive, but I bought my copy second hand for six quid.

My great uncle 721 Private John Hone, a pre-war regular,served with the battalion throughout the war and was killed in their last attack on 24th October 1918.

Guest scott leader

Thanks Richard * mark for the text & map. :)

He was also awarded the MM on the 11th Nov 1916, so would this awarded be about the time of Les Boeufs??

Another thing he went to France on the 22/8/1914, but the MIC doesen't show the award for the 1914 bar, would think that with him being with 1/ that he should be entitled??

1115 Cpl F.Smart.

Scott