The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Divisional Parchment

John Holmes

Hi,

I have my grandfathers medals and a parchment signed by Maj. Gen. Lee, 18th (Eastern) Division. It goes with his M.M. won on the 31st July in the 6th Royal Berkshires but the writing is fading and I wondered if there was a way to preserve it.

Regards

John

Hi John

First of all, make a transcription of the certificate so if the worst does come to the worst, then at least the information contained is not lost. Most MM citations do not still exist so yours is rare, and it would be a shame if the info were lost.

Is it actually parchment ie animal skin? In which case it won't do it any good to let it get too dry. Basically, just like leather, if it gets dry it will become brittle. The MM certificates I have seen (and these are very few) have all been on paper, which doesn't need to be kept humidified like parchment. I'm sure you have seen the mould growth that affects paper if it gets damp.

Fading can generally be attributed to two causes - the (poor) quality of the ink used, which you can't do anything about, and over exposure to light, which you can. Sometimes abrasion caused by folding and unfolding paper can also cause damage by actually rubbing away the paper surface on which the ink sits.

the best thing is to get hold of a clear wallet (normally made of polyester) of appropriate size - museum standard ones cost about £5 for 10, depending on the size. Ask at your local museum or archives if they have any / or are ordering some soon. Put the certificate in it flat and open so you will be able to read it and handle it without damage, and keep it somewhere cool, dry and dark.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks for your help DNH, I was told it is parchment but it has a waxy feel to it and you can see through it when held up. Thanks again and I will visit our local museum about the wallet.

Cheers John

I would make a quality Photocopy of it too ,to use for display & to show others ,to avoid over handling,to avoid further fading ensure it is kept out of direct sunlight ,{as one would with Watercolour Pictures},I have two of these 18th Division Certificates Awarded to 18845 Cpl;George Tilley MM & Bar,6th{Service} Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment,signed by General Lee & they are both Vellum{Animal skin} & have also a Copy of a Coloured Paper one awarded to L/Corporal William Hole MM,6th {Service} Bn.Northamptonshire Regiment.for Gallantry @ Albert on 22nd March 1918,also signed by General Lee.

Yes, I think a quality photograph might be better than a photocopy. When we were looking at archiving material, the archivist frowned on using a photocopier at all.

Robert