The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

mcilveen r.ir.rif

enoch beard

citation for BAR for DCM

l.g. 3rd sept 1918 page 10258

14/15416 a/c.s.m. w. Mcilveen D.C.M. R.IR. RIF. (Belfast)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. during a determined enemy attack,preceded by a heavy bombardment,this n.c.o. walked up and down the positions in the open, encouraging the men. a portion of our line being forced back, he collected a party of nine men, and opening rapid fire, checked the advance of the enemy, and, leading our men back to their orginal positions,restored the line. the next day, when the enemy, having penetrated our positions on the right flank. attacked us from the rear, he again collected a small party and fought a gallant rearguard action. though almost surrounded he led his men in a charge againest the enemy, and succeeded in extricating them from a difficult situation

Another classic! Wish I could 'claim' him! I'm assuming from the number that he was 14th RIRifles. I'll have to take a wee look at the books tonight and try and pin him down to a location.

BTW cheers for the other LG work and the image.

The famed Markinbelfast will be interested in this one!

Cheers

Des

by the look of the citation it wouldn't surprice me if he wasn't orginaly recommended for a v.c.

mark, he should be remembered with pride!

his citation for his d.c.m.

l.g. 25th august 1917 page 8836

14/15416 cpl. w. McIlveen, R. Ir, Rifles.

Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Although wounded early in an attack he led his platoon with the greatest pluck and skill after his officer had been killed, keeping them in the right direction and most ably reorganising them and consolidating the captured position. throughout the engagement he displayed great leadership and control.

enoch

here's a interesting citation.

8185 sgt j.greene r.ir.rif.(dublin)

for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in command of his platoon, after his platoon commander had become a casualty. he bombed enemy dugouts and estalished very effective sniping posts. only himself and one other of his platoon were left when withdrawn thrirty-six hours later.

mark and des here's a question for you two!

why is this man listed in the west bromwich book of remembance?

enoch

Hi Enoch

For a general answer on your man - I'd say that a sizeable number of men, especially regulars, married 'into' English families. Probably the case here? Thus, he may be from Dublin/Ireland etc but has come to be recorded on the memorial through a subsequent marriage to a local lady in WB.

Which at the end of the day is just woffle and me thinkng out loud .....!!!!

Also, as the war went on, you will find a lot of men who come from the same geographical location in England being, I assume, drafted in Irish btns. I posted a topic in 'Documents' not so long ago about Englishmen in the 12th Royal Irish Rifles ... it's a fairly good example of what was going on late war wise.

Cheers