The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Geological Society information

widavies

Hi All,

There is a lecture at the Royal Geological Society in London which I unfortunately cannot attend, but if anybody else would like to attend and can get a ticket then relevant information about this event is as follows:-

Re-staging of 'Geology at the Western Front' plus relevant publications
It is with great pleasure that we welcome Colonel Edward P. F. Rose to the Geological Society Library at Burlington House for a special re-staged lecture of Lt Col Tannatt Edgeworth David’s ‘Geology at the Western Front’.
See below for more details and how to book, plus we have highlighted some publications by Colonel Rose that you might be interested in.
With best wishes,
Emily
Emily Milroy
Marketing Co-ordinator
Contact the sales team
Restaging Lt Col Tannatt Edgeworth David’s ‘Geology at the Western Front’
Library Event: Restaging Lt Col Tannatt Edgeworth David’s WWI Lecture ‘Geology at the Western Front’
Date: 10 July 2014
Venue: The Geological Society Library, Burlington House, London
The Library is delighted to invite you to a special event to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War.
In the Upper Library at Burlington House we will restage a lecture, ‘Geology at the Western Front’, given by Lt Col Tannatt Edgeworth David on 26 February 1919, before his return to Australia to be officially demobilised. Until recently the contents of the lecture were unknown and it was thought that the War Office had denied permission for it to be published. A few months ago, however, the handwritten notes to David’s lecture were rediscovered tucked into a box in the Library.
The restaged lecture will be delivered by Colonel Edward P. F. Rose, this year’s Sue Tyler Friedman Medallist, at 6.30pm. As was the custom for Ordinary Meetings during the First World War, tea will be served half an hour before.
Tickets for this special evening cost £5 and spaces are limited to 40 people.
To register please email library@geolsoc.org.uk
Visit the website for more information.

http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/email/newsletter/1412075477

Regards

Will Davies

• 2 months later...

Hi Maureen,

I had previously read the roll of honour section before but once again thanks for reminding me. I also remember reading that Captain Richard Moysey was one of the unfortunate people to have died on the Hospital ship Glenart Castle which was torpedoed and sank in the Bristol Channel in early 1918.

Earlier this year there was a TV program about the locating and identifying the wreck site by a team of divers which I found fascinating.

Regards

Will