The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur Moss, poss Beds Regmnt. Very sad story

steve fuller

Howdy campers

Bumped into 3 people at Bedford last week and had to stick my nose in to try and offer guidance (as you do!!), as it all seemed rather 'foreign' to them. They had a very sad story that had surfaced and it tugged on the old heart strings a bit, so thought Id try and see if anyone has anything to help them (as i havent found anything as yet).

Heres what I learned:

They have no military info at all, other than the hospitals medical records (which were sad enough themselves).

A Luton man, born, lived & enlisted

Survived the war and was admitted to Fairfields hospital, where he stayed until his death in 1970; yes that was 1970 :o .

The man in the group was his grandson, and I believe it was a surprise to discover his existance. So he spent 50 years alone & in tumoil basically. :(

Although not certain he was a Beds soldier, looks possible and I wandered if anyone can shed a little light on their harrowing story.

I directed him to the MIC's and suggested how to eliminate the Moss's that dont apply, and see whos left. Naturally, I strongly advised this site as his second stop, so expect he'll be here soon. Thought it would be great if we could help before he arrived, & have his Phone no etc, so can contact him if anything comes up.

Cheers all

Steve

A Luton man, born, lived & enlisted

Survived the war and was admitted to Fairfields hospital, where he stayed until his death in 1970; yes that was 1970

Very sad, Steve. Is/was Fairfield hospital a psychiatric facility?

Robbie

Yes mate. Couldnt find the word to describe the hossy's function for some reason, but thats the one.

Was bought up as a littlun (in Leighton Buzzard) with references to Fairfields, and how parents of naughty little boys could send them there .... ! Beats the Sandman & monsters under the bed I suppose? :huh: - not that it deterred me from finding a bit of 'sport' though ...

Yes mate. Couldnt find the word to describe the hossy's function for some reason, but thats the one.

Was bought up as a littlun (in Leighton Buzzard) with references to Fairfields, and how parents of naughty little boys could send them there .... ! Beats the Sandman & monsters under the bed I suppose? :huh: - not that it deterred me from finding a bit of 'sport' though ...

You might be interested in the new book i reviewed on another thread - "Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War"/ Peter Barham (2004). Excellent, but very moving stuff.

Robbie

Have checked the National Roll of Honour for Beds, but no Arthur Moss listed i'm afraid

All The Best

Chris

1901 census has an 11 year old Arthur Moss living at 33 York Street Luton with his parents James and Kate, along with a few siblings.

SN

Thank you everyone. Thought it may be worth a go. Thats probably him on the census though. Recall mention of York Street now youve said it.

Thanks Pals

Steve,

I think your man is likely to be Pte GS/48489 Arthur Moss Royal Fusiliers, living at 26 New Town Street, Luton (the Park Town area of Luton and about a mile from York Street, which is High Town). I say this on the basis that (1) there is no other Arthur Moss recorded in Luton in WW1-although that doesn't mean that there wasn't (2) there are other Moss in the Park Town area (and in no other area of Luton) so assume that they were family and had moved from High Town. They are: Walter Bemerlick Moss 304910 Sgt Chinese labour Corps and Herbert Walter Moss 32144 Pte Bedfords both of 49 May Street.

If these chaps match the census entries found previously then problem is likely to have been solved.

Regards

David

Cheers David, Ive left him a message and will keep you updated either way. Sounds promising... fingers & bits crossed

Steve

I think your man is likely to be Pte GS/48489 Arthur Moss Royal Fusiliers, living at 26 New Town Street, Luton (the Park Town area of Luton and about a mile from York Street, which is High Town).

David

Thats him David :D

His Grandson Fred says hes extremely grateful to you, thank you. He's sending me his MIC and is off to the PRO soon to look for service records, Medal Rolls and look into a reference on the Remarks of the MIC:

"Ret'd (992R R1933) 7860/adv". Imagining it will link into Fairfields...

He was curious where the info you found came from if you dont mind him asking? I believe he's quite motivated to look into Arthur moss!

Can i ask a couple more questions please Pals?

1.Am i correct to think that the Medal Rolls will tell him what Battalion of the RF's Arthur was in?

2. Where can I see what the prefix's mean eg. "GS" /48489?

Once again, Thank You David

Steve

Steve:

Here's the 1901:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Annie Moss 16 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Arthur Moss 11 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Son Luton Bedfordshire

Clara Moss 6 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Erdie Moss 3 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

James Moss 39 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Head Luton Bedfordshire

Kate Moss 39 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Wife Luton Bedfordshire

Lizzie Moss 18 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Louisa Moss 13 Luton, Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Also-the 1891:

Moss, Annie M 6 Luton, Bedfordshire Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, Arthur 1 Luton, Bedfordshire Son Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, Elizabeth 8 Luton, Bedfordshire Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, James 29 Luton, Bedfordshire Head Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, James 69 Flamstead, Hertfordshire Lodger Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, Kate 29 Luton, Bedfordshire Wife Luton Bedfordshire

Moss, Louisa 5 Luton, Bedfordshire Daughter Luton Bedfordshire

Steve,

I have a large database of Beds service personnel for WW1 as well as Beds Rgt for other periods, gleaned from a wide variety of sources. Bedford CRO is a prime source of information.

Arthur Moss served 1/2 London Rgt (City of London Battalion), which will have its own medal roll. See www.battlefields1418.50megs.com/2londons.htm for further info.

Retd is very probably returned, meaning that the medals were never received (because he was at Fairfields ?)I think 992 is Kings Rgulation, but I don't think you can now claim WW1 medals-one of the bright sparks out there will know. If not, an enquiry at the Medals Office perhaps.

GS ? probably General Service but anyone out there with a copy of Howard Williamson's grand work will be able to confirm.

As 2 asides:

1. Quite a few of the 5th Beds were transferred to the RF - service number around GS6000. I have a 5th Beds trio to a chap who lived about 1/2 a mile from Arthur and transferred to the RF.

2. Fairfields was still in use when I was working out that way in the 80s. Consent was given for a new housing estate in the grounds recently (don't know if they converted the buildings or knocked them down) - makes you wonder what names they've chosen for the roads. Something gentrified and p.c. no doubt (at least the local council resisted an attempt to alter the name of another road near me. I think Gas House Lane is much better than Willowy Banks or whatever other meaningless name the residents had in mind).

I stop at this point before I launch into other areas totally unconnected with TGW.

All the best

David

Gordon; thank you again. Ill pass it onto him!

David: Thank you, Ill pass it all onto him with your name on it of course!! Im sure he'll be extremely grateful again mate!

A housing estate on the site of Fairfields? The mind boggles, and wanders into the realms of possible road names .... best left for others I think!! Must be a dreadful 'feel' to the area? :huh:

You Rant on David, Rant on!! I use the word 'nonsense' to encapsulate that and other types of time wasting clap trap myself!

Cheers guys

Steve :D