The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 Books. New. Reviews wanted.

Has anyone read Richard Van Emdens Tommys War yet ? I was wondering whats peoples thoughts on this book and if it was worth getting.

Similary has anyone read the 24 hour trench by Andy Robertshaw ? I was wondering what these books were like (hardback or factual or just containing a load of pictures).

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

That's an earlier book with the same title. Richard von Emden's book is more of a photograph album, as I understand it, featuring privately-taken photos of the early part of the war, before such activity was banned. I haven't actually seen the book, but it's on my possible purchase list, as Mr Von E's publications are usually good value.

Yep - love the latest one and they are totally different books.

The latest one is more my type of book with all the pictures and personal accounts - wonderful layout too plus an easy to read, especially if you're always having to do two things at once like me. Only draw back it's bit heavy (in weight) to read in bed - sprained my ankle on it - don't ask how? too personal.

One day I'll invest in a kindle but I love the smell and feel of real books too much at present. He reveals a lot about how the War Illustrated doctored photos etc - quite an eye opener.

To quote from the Amazon review: -

"Some of the photos are extremely evocative: houses in Ypres on fire, British tanks bogged down in mud, the infamous ‘wire’, but there is a strand of humour too: a shocked English soldier being greeting by a warm kiss from a Frenchman, a Tommy squished into a bucket for a ‘bath’.

Even if you’ve read a lot about the war, the photos in this book brings the experience closer in a visceral sense"

Personally, it's on my save if house burning list - a very hard thing to get on in this large house with over 2,000 books.

Hope that helps you decide.

thanks and take care, Kitty

Hello Kitty,

Great to hear your view. I have just recieved my copy of Tommy's War. I have to admit the quality of the pictures is brilliant. I don't think a paper back or kindle edition would ever get near the quality of this book.

I have to admit love reading books my Richard Van Emden. Just managed to find a copy of The Trench which was a good book and so will start this one.