The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chalford War Memorial

HeatherC

Hi Simon

Maybe! I assume you got him from the Stroud News list of men serving in 1914-15? The problem is that trying to match up the 8 names on the current memorial with the names both on the original memorials (If you recall, the current Chalford names date from 1981 when the names from memorials in the surrounding area were all added to the old Chalford names) and on the Stroud News Rolls of Honour has proved to be a nightmare! Some of them are easy, but we are actually left with two entries on the current memorial that we simply can't be sure of - F. Gardiner and W. Gardiner.

F. Gardiner looks as though he should match the entry from the older Oakridge memorial for "Frederick Gardiner 2nd Gren Guards" but of course there's no such person (not that I can find). There is a Stanley Gardiner born Chalford, died 10 Nov 1914, 2 Gren Guards, who did even live in Oakridge and who had pre-war service (he's at the Guards Depot in 1911), but even I can't make Stanley = Frederick!

There's an entry on the Stroud News Roll of Honour for Bisley area for "F. Gardiner, RE, KIA" but all efforts to match that have also failed. We have an F Gardiner RE but he was discharged in 1916 as no longer fit for war service.

Then there is an entry on the Stroud News Roll of Honour for Chalford for "Pte R Gardiner RAMC" that we also can't match. He appears on the 1914-15 list of men serving too.

Then there's W Gardiner. None of the other memorials or the Rolls of Honour have an entry for W Gardiner and I wonder if this is actually another error from 1981 and he never existed. There are several W Gardiner entries on the various rolls of men serving.

William Oscar Gardiner - a pre-war soldier with the Glosters who survived the war

(Charles) William Gardiner ASC - enlisted 1914, discharged as medically unift 1916

Wilfred Gardiner (on the 1914 list) - he might be the Sjt, Glos Regt whose MIC says "To class Z", but in any case I can't find a Wilfred Gardiner casualty that matches.

W. Gardiner 3/5 Glos - he might be the same as the previous man. He really is too hard to identify I think, but in any case I can't find a W Gardiner casualty that matches.

And that was the SHORT explanation. The long one with all the facts and details is now 6 pages...

As you say there are a LOT of Gardiners and at this stage I'm really trying to narrow it down to tracking down the missing ones from the roll of honour - Frederick of 2 Gren Gds, F Gardiner RE and Pte R Gardiner RAMC and also of course any possible W Gardiner casualities - although I no longer believe the name on the memorial is correct!

I obviously don't have to remind you that LOCAL War Memorials aren't necessarily limited to men with a CWGC entry.

If they decided locally that a man who had been discharged from the Armed Forces and subsequently died, they may well have included him, even though he doesn't meet the CWGC established criteria.

Then you have the issue of local "nicknames" either because of something that happened, or to distinguish him from say, his father or other member already named Stanley.

Where you also have a unit mentioned, I'd be inclined to go with that.

I understand your desire to "prove" the connection beyond any shadow of doubt, but with the passing of time that may no longer be possible.

You've done tremendously well so far, but time is pressing so you may have to add some form of caveat if you cannot tie up the loose ends in time.

I obviously don't have to remind you that LOCAL War Memorials aren't necessarily limited to men with a CWGC entry.

If they decided locally that a man who had been discharged from the Armed Forces and subsequently died, they may well have included him, even though he doesn't meet the CWGC established criteria.

Then you have the issue of local "nicknames" either because of something that happened, or to distinguish him from say, his father or other member already named Stanley.

Where you also have a unit mentioned, I'd be inclined to go with that.

I understand your desire to "prove" the connection beyond any shadow of doubt, but with the passing of time that may no longer be possible.

You've done tremendously well so far, but time is pressing so you may have to add some form of caveat if you cannot tie up the loose ends in time.

Thanks Kevin and no you don't have to remind me that not everyone is in CWGC - we've some examples of that already :)

As for the "local nicknames" see my posts above relating to Alfred = Fred = Frederick and you can see we've been down that road already too!

I agree with your point about the caveat and we already plan to write up the best "guess" that we can make for each of our "missing" men. Still incredibly frustrating to have ANY we can't identify though and we live in hope that the very act of doing this for the Centenary will bring forward someone local who has the vital misssing information that's not on the Internet.

Hi,

Sorry I'm of no help on your mystery men, but I'm wondering if you can help me? If you're researching the names on the war memorial, do you have any information about Arthur and Ernest Young? I believe they are my great great uncles and I'm a history teacher trying to inspire my students to find out about their relatives in the First World War, so I thought I better find out about mine! I know when and where they died but wondered if you had come across anything else about them?

I also believe there is a Frank young in my family, presumably the Francis on the France Lynch memorial (if army service and army medical corps are the same thing?)

I've got gardiners in my family as well somewhere! but the problem is everyone around here seems to have these names!!!

Thanks,

Joanne

Is this Arthur John Young 1 Glos died Dec 1914 and Ernest Walter Young 10 Glos died Sep 1915?

The Frank / Francis Young entries have been - shall we say - "challenging" to disentangle. Is yours the Francis William Young RAMC who is buried at France Lynch or are you saying yours is the ASC one, becasue we have a Frank Young Pte ASC on the Oakridge memorial who we haven't managed to match up with a local casualty on CWGC yet and it would be great if you knew more about him!

Hi there and welcome aboard!

You'll find it gets easier to understand things the more involved you get - but be warned- it becomes addictive!

I helped out a teacher from Durham who wanted some info on a few local lads for a visit to Ypres.

Not only did I come up with sufficient Names to not only give one to each of her class, but for the other two schools travelling with her!

She now tells me she has now detailed over 250 men who died (or served) from the local collieries - and she's still finding more!

Anyway, to answer the easier parts of your questions:-

The Royal Army Medical Corps provides the meical care for wounded and sick soldiers, ranging from rescuing battlefield casualties on stretchers whilst under fire to care at first Aid Posts, Casualty Clearing Stations and Field Ambulances all the way from the front line to hospitals and convalescent homes in the UK from Brighton right up into Scotland.

The (Royal) Army Service Corps is a separate Branch of the Army, principally tasked with supplies for the men in the trenches with everything required, fresh uniforms and kit, stores etc.

The Frank/Francis Young you mention as being on the France Lynch Memorial would seem to be this chap

YOUNG, FRANCIS WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: 121182. Date of Death: 13/09/1917. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps.
Grave Reference: East of Church. Cemetery: FRANCE LYNCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Husband of Margaret Young, of Bisley Rd., Oakridge Lynch, Stroud.
Does that fit with your family?
You have 4 other WW1 casualties sharing the Churchyard with Frank, so that could be a good start point for your pupils to research locally using a well known family history website for Birth, Marriage, Death and Census returns.
Your local newspaper might also run a feature asking for any relatives still in the area to make contact, maybe come to the school and share any family reminiscences they may have, medals, etc.... They may also point you to their newspaper archives for WW1 in which casualties may be mentioned, especially for the big battles such as The Somme, Passchendaele etc
DAMSELL, F. Rank: Private. Service No: 52183. Date of Death: 29/10/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment. 13th Bn. transf. to (137607) Labour Corps
Grave Reference: North-East of Church. Cemetery: FRANCE LYNCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Son of Elijah and Esther Annie Damsell, of The Glen, France Lynch.
(you'll note that he was transferred to the Labour Corps which sometimes indicates he wasn't able to recover from wounds etc to regain front line status - it may be a factor in his early death (although the "Spanish Flu" pandemic was also raging at that time which seemed to hit the fittest the hardest). The newspaparers may carry an account of his funeral and circumstances of his death. The Death Registration may give a clue as to where he was when he died.
GARDINER, A R. Rank: Private. Service No: TR/27514. Date of Death: 25/10/1918. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment. 51st Bn.
Grave Reference: South of Church. Cemetery: FRANCE LYNCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Mary Minchin, of Silver St., Chalford, Stroud.
(Well, by all accounts there HAD to be at least one!)
HALE, W. Rank: Private. Service No: 14795. Date of Death: 30/10/1918.
Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 13th Bn.
Grave Reference: North-East of Church. Cemetery: FRANCE LYNCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD
(Groan: Must be a big lad with a name like that- probably nick named Jonah!)
SMART, T A V. Rank: Air Mechanic 2nd Class. Service No: 251907. Date of Death: 03/05/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force. 133rd Sqdn.
Grave Reference: South of Church. Cemetery: FRANCE LYNCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Son of Mr. A. Smart, of Field View, France Lynch.
(The Royal Air Force was only formed on 1st April 1918, so he'd be one of their earliest deaths.
The Royal Flying Corps which preceded the RAF was under the command of the Army.
He may not have been aircrew, but a ground mechanic, again the Daeth Registration may give a clue to an airfield etc).
Now you have Service Numbers as well as Names you may locate Medal Index cards which may give other helpful information, reference to 1914 Star would show they were in France within the sound (range) of the enemy's guns before 22 November 1914; a 1916 Star shows he may have been a volunteer in Kitcheners Army, no Star means he served Overseas after 1915. No Medal Index Card means no Overseas Service, so no medals.
Good luck, but don't blame me if you, too, get hooked!

Joanne I wasn't sure from your post if the school was local to Chalford or if it's you who was local to Chalford and so have relatives on the memorial, which you were trying to get more info about so you could use them as an example for your pupils?. If it's the former then do say and I'm sure our Chalford war memorial research group would be pleased to help if we can.

In the meantime of course we have further details of the men Kevin mentions who are buried at France Lynch (three out of four of them are on the memorial) and know how they all died and why they are buried in the UK, so if it's relevant to your pupils we can help with that too :)

Edited by HeatherC

Is this Arthur John Young 1 Glos died Dec 1914 and Ernest Walter Young 10 Glos died Sep 1915?

The Frank / Francis Young entries have been - shall we say - "challenging" to disentangle. Is yours the Francis William Young RAMC who is buried at France Lynch or are you saying yours is the ASC one, becasue we have a Frank Young Pte ASC on the Oakridge memorial who we haven't managed to match up with a local casualty on CWGC yet and it would be great if you knew more about him!

Yes it's Arthur John and Ernest Walter. My paternal grandmother's father was George Young, and I believe these two to be his older brothers. Frank Young may or may not be related - my Great Aunt daughter said she thought there were the two brothers who died plus a cousin, and the name Frank came up, but I can't prove a link and like I said, trying to work out families of Youngs in Oakridge is a nightmare. So I have no idea if he's the ASC or the RAMC, and if he's even related! I'm trying to get more from my remaining family, but unfortunately there is no-one left of my Grandmother's generation so it's all a bit patchy. If I come across anything I'll pass it on! I originally wanted to try and find out more about what happened to Arthur and Ernest. In particular I was interested that Arthur died so early in the war, I wondered if he was a volunteer or had been in the regular army but I'm not sure how to find out. Did you have any more information about these two?

I was raised in Chalford/Bussage but I am now based in Devon, though my parents are still in the area (my Mum has also got very involved and has been visiting churchyards etc.). As part of the centenary we've been trying to encourage the students to research their own family stories of the war, and this started as just wanting to find something more for that. But you're right, it is addictive and I am wanting to find out more than I necessarily need for the students for my own interest! It's also opened up a right mystery on my paternal grandfather's side! But that mystery is based in Carlisle!!!

Hi Joanne

Yes I agree trying to work out the Oakridge Youngs is a nughtmare - rest assured they aren't as bad as the Gardiners though!

As you spotted, Arthur died early in the war and as he was with 1 Glos this is a strong indicator that he had pre-war service. In both the 1901 and 1911 census he is living with his parents and working as a General Labourer. However the clue comes in his early Regimental number - 6337 - which indicates enlistment in late 1901 or early 1902. He could then have finished his active military service before the 1911 census but would still have had a reserve obligation and would have been recalled at once in August 1914. HIs medal index card shows he went to France on 12 Sep 1914 and was thus entitled to the 1914 star with "Mons Clasp". We don't know exactly how he died, although there is a hint in his entry on the "Soldiers Died in the Great War" database which says "died" rather than killed in action. By late December 1914 (his date of death as you know is 23 Dec) the 1 Bn Glos Regiment (who had had a torrid time in the previous few months and lost hundreds of men) were digging and repairing trenches in appalling wet and cold conditions and many men were fallling sick as a result. It's very likely that Arthur was one of those who died as a result of the winter conditions or some other illness contracted at the time.

Ernest on the other hand was a Kitchener Volunteer serving in the 10th (Bristol) Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment. His Regimental number 17535 indicates a December 1914 enlistment - maybe as a result of his brother's death (this last bit is pure speculation on my part!) and he went to France on 9 August 1915, which is the correct date for the 10th Bn. He was killed in action as you know on 25 Sep 1915 on the first day of the Battle of Loos where the Bn suffered heavy casualties. You can read more about the battle here http://www.1914-1918.net/bat13.htm

Francis William Young Pte RAMC who is buried at France Lynch, was the son of John and Jane Young, was married to Maragaret Hunt in 1915 and lived in Oakridge Lynch.. He was conscripted in 1916, actually called up for service in June 1917 and having never served overseas was discharged in August 1917 after suffering from TB, as no longer fit for war service and was awarded the Silver War Badge which was given to those who had been discharged for a variety of reasons invluding medical. Sadly he died less than a month later in a TB Sanatorium and was brought home to France lynch to be buried.

If you do find out which Francis / Frank Young might have been yours, we'd love to know as we have two on our memorial and are only really sure of the identity of one of them.

I hope this gives you some more interestig information and inspires you to encourage your pupils!

There are a few additional clues tucked away, if you know what they infer..

Firstly

YOUNG, ARTHUR JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 6337. Date of Death: 23/12/1914. Age:31.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 17. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of John and Eliza Young.
The Le Touret Memorial commemorates over 13,400 British soldiers who were killed in this sector of the Western Front from the beginning of October 1914 to the eve of the Battle of Loos in late September 1915 and who have no known grave.
Now, there were 15 deaths in the 1st Bn Cloucestershire Reg't on 23 December. If Arthur had died from cold, exposure etc, I would have expected him to be a single casualty, as it's hard to accept 15 men freezing in one night.....
You'll probably need to obtain the War Diary for the Battalion covering the winter of 1914/15 to see if anything further is mentioned.
One name to look for would be this young officer
WIGGIN, DOUGLAS HOLME. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 23/12/1914. Age:19.
Grave Reference: A. 25. Cemetery: LILLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of the late F. H. Wiggin, of Ceylon.
Lillers was used for billets and headquarter offices from the autumn of 1914 to April 1918. At that time it was a hospital centre with the 6th, 9th, 18th, 32nd, 49th and 58th Casualty Clearing Stations in the town at one time or another. These units buried their dead on the right of the central path of the communal cemetery, working back from Plot I.
Secondly 12 men are only commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, but these two men are not...
BURROWS, S. Rank: Private. Service No: 1743. Date of Death: 23/12/1914. Age:21.
Grave Reference: VII. D. 6. Cemetery: BROWN'S ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY, FESTUBERT.
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. S. Burrows, of Clare Building, Ebley, Stroud, Glos.
AVIS, W. Rank: Private. Service No: 9473. Date of Death: 23/12/1914.
Grave Reference: VIII. H. 4. Cemetery: BROWN'S ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY, FESTUBERT.
Festubert was occupied by Commonwealth forces in October 1914 and on 23-24 November, the Indian Corps repulsed a German attack. The Battle of Festubert (15-25 May 1915) resulted in a short advance which left the village somewhat less exposed than it had been. The cemetery was begun in October 1914, and carried on by fighting units and field ambulances until November 1917, when it contained 299 graves. After the War, more burials were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and cemeteries. The more sizeable of the graveyards concentrated here were:-
CHEYNE WALK CEMETERY, GIVENCHY, on the road from Givenchy to Cuinchy, named from a trench. It was part of a cafe and garden, and it contained the graves of 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in October and December, 1914.
LE PLANTIN SOUTH CEMETERY, GIVENCHY, on the road leading South from the hamlet of Le Plantin to Windy Corner. It contained the graves of 33 soldiers from the United Kingdom, and it was used from October, 1914 to December, 1916.
If Arthur had been wounded, sick or ill, he would probably have been evacuated back down the casualty chain, and if dying would likely be buried in a known grave at a hospital.
He isn't so it rather implies that he was buried close to where he died, as likely were the other men.
I can't yet explain Avis and Burrows, but they may have died whilst receiving first aid or rudimentary medical attention.
They aren't in adjacent graves indicating they possibly died some hours apart or at different First Aid posts.
One man is shown as being in C Company, if 2nd Lt Wiggin was also part of C Company, then the possibility is that the rest of the casualties were, too.
These are the 15 men, there might be Service Records for one or more that might have something relating to their deaths..

AMES A 2070 1ST BN

AVIS W 9473 1ST BN

BROWN AG 7593 1ST BN

BROWN W 8130 1ST BN

BURROWS S 1743 1ST BN

COLBORN WH 741 1ST BN

COOPEY CT 9953 C COY 1ST BN

HEWER AE 7717 1ST BN

JELLY HJ 9857 1ST BN

MCCARTHY HJ 1973 1ST BN

MERRIOTT AF 9226 1ST BN

NEATE S 1178 1ST BN

WIGGIN DH - 1ST BN

WILKEY A 2718 1ST BN

YOUNG AJ 6337 1ST BN

One more thing, it's likely that Arthur DOES have a grave, just that the identification marker may have been destroyed over the almost 4 years of subsequent fighting and is just a soldier "Known Unto God" which in itself is no bad thing...

I already have the war diary, but hadn't looked at the detail yet for this date (we have 150+ men to look for on this war memorial and working through the war diaries is secondary to identifying who is who). According to the diary, 1 Glos suffered a number of casualties on 21 Dec 1914 (including 2Lt Wiggin, who is listed as wounded). This was the result of an afternoon attack at Festubert to retake trenches said to have been "lost by the Indian Division". 6 Officers were wounded and 1 taken prisoner, Other Ranks casualties were 16 killed 86 wounded 94 missing. They gained about 500 yards by dark and further advance the next day was cancelled.

The diary entry for 22-23rd simply talks about improving trenches at the point where the attack stopped (though one officer was wounded the day before so casualties were occuring)

There's a short account of the action on the 21st in which it is stated that rifles became clogged with mud and useless, bayonets could not be fixed and they were unable to approach within 300 yards of the enemy trenches due to heavy machine gun fire and that they suffered heavy losses. I agree it looks much more likely that this is the action in which Arthur Young died and it certainly explains why his body was not identified after the war.

Thank you both so much for this information, I really appreciate it! Adding more of a story to it, rather than just a 'this is when they died and where' makes it all so much more interesting.

I shall continue my research into these two, and as I said if i work out the Francis/Frank mystery I will let you know.

I did also last night discovered that I am directly descended from Gardiner's and Gubbins' also, so if I itentify one of these as a relative I will also come back to you!

Thank you again!

Joanne

• 2 weeks later...

Any new leads Heather?

Hi Simon

Funny you should ask as one of the other members of our Group has made a break-through this weekend with our Gardiner entries. She was talking to some people who are part of one of the local Young families and who have some photos and it turned out that Frederick Gardiner, Grenadier Guards was engaged to one of the girls in the family before the war. Not only that but they had photos of him!

This is the man about whom earlier in this thread I said:

F. Gardiner looks as though he should match the entry from the older Oakridge memorial for "Frederick Gardiner 2nd Gren Guards" but of course there's no such person (not that I can find). There is a Stanley Gardiner born Chalford, died 10 Nov 1914, 2 Gren Guards, who did even live in Oakridge and who had pre-war service (he's at the Guards Depot in 1911), but even I can't make Stanley = Frederick!

Now we don't know exactly what happened to Fred, but the family memory from the people we have talked to is that he was a PoW and that he came home after the war and subsequently died young, possibly in hospital in Brimingham. He may thus have missed the CWGC cut-off date or even just not come to their attention, but still have been placed on the local church memorial. We think (from MIC search) that he could be 26519 Fred W Gardiner, but there's no service record or pension record that I can find. I note that ICRC are going to put some of their records online in August so maybe that will help us - I'm not sure exactly what is going to be in those records!

So far then we've got the following:

The Cumings / Cumming saga. We are pretty convinced that our man is the RFC man from Chile but despite a mass of fascinating stuff we just can't prove it.

Charles Saunders - this one is an absolute mystery and we have no real candidates.

Charles Weaver - also a mystery. We can see a man on CWGC who could be him but can prove no local connection whatsoever.

H Stephens. Strong possibility that he may be Harry Stevens of the Glosters and then MGC who died in 1917, but no absolute proof and still some unexplained issues with that identification.

H Fowden. We think it most likely that this is an error introduced when the memorial was revamped in 1981 and that actually it is a mis-spelling of Dowden, who in turn is a double entry being already on there as Dowding.

F Matthews - SOLVED (thanks to Simon's persistence!)

F. Gardiner - Frederick Gardiner, Grenadier Guards, who probably died after the war

W. Gardiner - probably an error introduced in 1981 during the revamp of the memorial.

And so that leaves us with just the 6 who we cannot firnly identify and we will write them up as they are and lay out our thoughts as to who they could be and hope that someone will come forward with the photo or the letter that will tell us what the internet can not!

Foot Guards records are still held by their respective Regimental HQs at Wellington Barracks (a few were destroyed when a V1 hit the Guards' Chapel in WWII, but they escaped the wholesale destruction of the rest of the records). You can apply for the records, but it's about £30.

Thanks David. I will suggest we pass this on to the family and see if they are interested in doing this, but sadly as he is just one of 150+ men on our memorial there's not much chance that we as a research group will do so :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who has helpd with this so far. This Saturday we have a small exhibition of our findings so far at Christ Church, Chalford from 10 am - 4 pm. Tea, coffee and cakes available. For details go to http://www.chalford-glos.gov.uk/ and click on the "WW1 Centenary" page in the left hand margin and then open the PDF at the bottom of the page.

We've already "found" a number of photos and other family momentos as a result of local publicity, some of which I hope I can share here once the exhibition is over. The work continues as we have a small article going into the local parish magazines and newsletters every month to commemorate the fallen from that month 100 years ago. Also of course we still have six men to find!

Would love to come but away for a week - also sans Internet at the moment! Will have another look at the 6 when back online! Simon

Well we had our exhibition on Saturday. We really had no idea what to expect and I even took a book as we were going to be there all day and were not sure what interest it would generate. I never even got the book out of the car! The first people arrived two minutes before our official opening time and for the next 6 hours we had a constant stream of mainly local people coming in. It was exactly what we had hoped for, but did not know if we'd get. People were really interested and quite a few stayed for ages, making notes, asking questions, taking pictures and trying to add to their family knowledge of Great Uncle Fred (or whoever). I think we were surprised by how many people that we knew turned up seeking more information on a relative, both those on the meorial and those who came back. We all scribbled down information furiously and now have a load of other leads to follow up in various areas.

Among the things that we were shown on the day by people who came along - a 1914 star for one of our men, two artillery shells brought back from the Somme, a death penny for one of our men, old photos of people's relatives and modern pictures of memorials in France / Belgium bearing the names of our men.

All in all it was a fantastic day and made the effort of the whole thing worth while. We have also decided that there's so much more we can still find out. We definitely don't think this one will be over by Christmas and we hope to hold further exhibitions over the coming months in other villages in the parish. (and we'd love to see you at one of them Simon!)

Just let me know! I 'll be there!

Glad you had such a good response and that it brought much more information to light.

Good luck with further exhibitions locally!

Your local paper and schools may also be interested..

Thanks Kevin. We're already in touch with both local papers and schools :)

The Chalford area had little time to get used to the idea of war before it suffered its first casualties. Two men went down with HMS Amphion who was sunk 100 years ago today when she struck a mine.

223011 Leading Signalman James William Rice was born in 1885 in Chalford and enlisted into the Royal Navy as a Boy in 1902. In 1904 he started his 12 year stint of "Man's service" and was promoted to Leading Signalman in April 1910. He spent two years with HMS Challenger on the Australian station and then returned to Devonport where he passed his exams for Petty Officer and Yeoman of Signals. He was posted to HMS Amphion in April 1913.

J/12346 Able Seaman James William Hunt was born in 1894 in Chalford and on leaving school initially worked in a local brass foundry. He joined the Royal Navy as a Boy in May 1911 and entered "Man's service" in August 1912. He was posted to Amphion in April 1913 and promoted from Ordinary to Able Seaman in February 1914.

amphiondead_zpsbe43b04b.jpg

In case anyone is interested, Camilla Boon who was the original inspiration behind this Project has added a Blog post about our centenary exhibition. http://greatwarchalford.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/progress-so-far-marking-the-centenary/

Even in the last week we've had a new photograph from someone's great niece and a contact asking about a man whose parents were listed as being from Chalford by CWGC but who is not on the memorial. Plenty more work still to do and hopefully many more personal stories yet to tell!

• 4 weeks later...

WWI Death Plaque Harry Dowden Pte, Glos Reg 4146 Died 27/08/1916 Aged 17

Is this man one of your casualties Heather? Death plaque on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWI-Death-Plaque-Harry-Dowden-Pte-Glos-Reg-4146-Died-27-08-1916-Aged-17-/191310311222?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2c8afbaf36

"WW1 BRONZE DEATH PLAQUE FOR HARRY DOWDEN Pte, THE INFORMATION I WAS TOLD IS AS FOLLOWS, GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT, SOLDIER NUMBER 4146. DIED 27/08/1916, THE DAY AFTER HIS 17th BIRTHDAY. I AM LEAD TO BELEAVE HE WAS AN ORPHAN AND WAS BROUGHT UP IN THE VILLAGE OF BISLEY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. AND HE ENLISTED UNDER AGE. HE DIED INTESTATE AND HIS MEDALS WERE RETURNED."