The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

114375 Private Robert Armstrong MGC

hmsk212

Hi

Whilst carrying out research using the War Diary of 11th Battalion Machine Gun Corps, I came across the following report. I cannot find any mention of Private Robert Armstrong receiving an award for this deed and I wonder if any of the Pals know differently.

"B" Company 11th Battn. M.G.C.

No 114375 Pte Armstrong R.

On April 9th at HULLUCH a German aeroplane, damaged by Lewis Gun fire was forced to land between our Reserve and Front lines. The two airmen, an officer and a NCO took out a machine gun and attempted to get back to their own lines. PTE ARMSTRONG seeing this, took a rifle and went forward to stop them, but was caught up in our own barbed wire. He then shot the NCO, who was getting away, and called to the officer to surrender. The officer neglected his call and PTE ARMSTRONG shot him in the leg, the officer then put up his hands and came towards our lines, but in coming close up to PTE ARMSTRONG and seeing him alone and hampered by the wire, he jumped towards him and tried to snatch away the rifle. PTE ARMSTRONG fired again and shot him in the abdomen.

PTE ARMSTRONG's conduct showed great daring and a very resourceful handling of the situation. His action prevented the neemy airmen from getting back to their lines, and was the means of several important maps and papers being secured.

10/04/18 ?--- ----? Major O C "B" Coy

Steve

Steve;

I have only two ARMSTRONG entries in my list, and this is the only 'R':

32718 ARMSTRONG R SJT MM 11/02/1919 61 BN

I have NOT catalogued all the MGC MIDs as yet, but more likely the poor devil ended up with one of those.

If anyone knows differently..?

Regards

Phil