The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War Ships & Subs @ Harwich

DEL1408

CJane -

WOW, and many thanks for posting what I was unable to do. No wonder I could not do it - with all that detail !!

Sadsac

No trouble - it's a lot easier when you have to do it all the time :)

Glad to be able to help.

Hello CJane - so many thanks for your help. Cannot find time to `do it all the time' as old / daft / much taken up with other work !!

In a `thanks' for your help, may I off (if you wish it) such as the following (I see that among your interests are naval medicine) ;

PENFOLD Ernest A MB Fleet Surgeon RN 78A009 Barham

N/E 01.01.17 N/E Battle of Jutland 1916 DSO

Was in the fore medical distributing station when a heay shell burst just outside, killing and wounding many. He was knocked down, bruised and shaken, but personally assisted in the removal of the wounded and tended them with unremitting skill and devotion for forty hours with out rest. His example was invaluable in keeping up the morale of the wounded, and of the medical party under very trying conditions, the shell having destroyed instruments, dressings etc.

Many more such if you wish.

Sadsac

Thanks! I do have that, as it happens - I believe the citation was reprinted in the Journal of the RN Medical Service. If you like I can send you a copy of the article he wrote about BARHAM and Jutland?

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see something erected to remember these Chaps. I was on a small tour of old Harwich last year. We were discussing WW2 by the old Navyard Wharf. We were approached by a couple and they were trying to find any traces of memorials to submarines etc. He stated that his Great Grandfather left Harwich on his submarine in WW1 and never returned. It may well have been H49.

BSears. Could not have been H49 if WW1 as the boat was lost WW11. The GGFather of the couple could have been any one of several boats that left Harwich WW1 and did not return.

RESURGAM

Sadsac

• 1 month later...

Steve

I don't think you will find that the T class submarines were in Harwich during WW2, the 3rd Submarine flotilla with its Depot ship HMS Cyclops was at Parkeston Quay at the end of 1939 to about May 1940 when they moved to Blyth. The French 13th flotilla with their Depot Ship Jules Verne was also there about the same time. The Italian Submarine Regia Marina Dagabur certainly wasn't, the Polish Submarine ORP Wilk was laid up in the reserve fleet in the River Stour after the war, ORP Sokol and ORP Dzik both operated from Malta. The Dutch submarines O14 and O23 were never in Harwich nor were HMS Oxley and HMS Oberon. Good luck with your research I've been doing it for the last 25 years and I still dont have the complete (nearly but not quite) picture of HMS Badger at war and the East Coast Convoys.