The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Discharge Certificate

Jamie1906

Studying my grandfathers discharge certificate i was intreagued by 2 aspects that i saw, firstly it was annotated that

He was transfered to the Reserve (Home Defence written in pencil) on demobilization (date of transfer being 9th Feb 1919)

and secondly

His Medical Category was A3

For info Jock enlisted into the 10th Bn HLI on 13th August 1914

I would be grateful for the views from the other forum members on these aspects below

What was his commitment to the Reserve following him being demobilized and was this a common practice after the war for soldiers to be tranferred to the Reserve and not discharged etc?

What is the definition of Medical Category A3?

many thanks

Jamie

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Hi Jamie,looking at my Grandads discharge papers,he was discharged to the Z reserve,this meant that in time of War he could be recalled to the Colours.Jocks pares indicate that being A3 he was not considered fit enough for the Z reserve of Fighting troops,this could be due to wounds,Sickness etc,etc,the other 2 A medical Classifications were A1,A2, and went on down ithink as far low as B1,B2,B3.I hope this has been of some use to you.

The medical categorries certainly go as far as B3, as that is what is shown on my grt grand father's certificate.

Unfortunately I do not know what this classification means, though from memory I do know my gt grand-father suffered from restricted movement in his left arm due to a war wound.

NigelR