The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cuckoo Passage Cemetery

Ian C

While looking for information on various soldiers on SDGW and CWGC, I came across mention of Cuckoo Passage Cemetery. This is a small cemetery of 53 burials, of which 41 belong to the Manchester Regiment and who were all killed on 23 April 1917. With a bit of luck I will be able to visit the cemetery in the near future, are there any Manchester experts who can give me some details of the action in which these men lost there lives.

Thanks in advance.

IanC

So far as I can see, there were 4 Manchester Bns attacking that day, all in 30 Div. (19Bn in 20 Brig & 16,17 &18 Bns in 90Brig). They attacked at Cherisy in the 2nd Battle of the Scarpe. As Cuckoo Passage was a trench in the Hindenburg Line, one can guess it may have been involved. Hope that helps. Phil B

Ian

I have just acquired a pair and scroll to a man of the 18th Manchesters who is buried in Cuckoo Passage, Ernest Wheale from Salford. Killed on 23rd April 1917. The 18th lost around 300 men killed, wounde, missing on that day. There is a good write up in Michael Stedmans book, The Manchester Pals.

Cheers

Andrew

Ian

My article about my grandad, Thomas Brough, on the Hellfire Corner site will give you the story from the 17th Mancs perspective. The War Diary and Battalion History are actually very thin on information.

John

Ian,

Don't tell too many people about this place! It's my favourite spot for walks: I have walked this valley for hours without ever seeing one British or French soul!.

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/layout/frames.ht...uals/barrie.htm

for the story of the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers which attacked alongside the 17th Mancs.

Regards,

Marco

Ian

If you are wondering why I have these pictures - it is because most of the other identified men are QVR (killed 14/4/17) during the 1st Scarpe. My man below won his MM on that day and as far as I can see it was pretty much on this spot.

Another piccy anyway.

Regards

Andy

post-2-1098270584.jpg

Guys

Another view looking towards Henninel-Croiselles cemetery (which is hidden from view).

Coincidentally my wife's g-uncle is buried there (1st Bn Middx Regt - 23rd April 1917)

Regards

Andy

post-2-1098272106.jpg