The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major Herbert McPherson AIF

Auimfo

Recently, whilst browsing through my Grandfather's diaries I came upon the following entry for Tuesday, 24th December, 1918. At the time he was aboard the 'Port Hacking' returning to Australia at war's end.

Up at 6am and had a turn round the deck then breakfast, tucker still keeps very good. Spent morning reading on deck, very nice day and breeze beautiful. Just after dinner Major McPherson, O.C. of troops on ship, shot himself through the heart in his cabin. Thrown a gloom over ship as he was very well liked, only a young chap of 26, very sad indeed. Spent quiet Xmas eve. Paraded at 8pm and at 8.30pm ship stopped and the burial of the Major, our late O.C., took place. Turned in at 9.30pm.

From some quick research I have located the following information:

Herbert Angus McPherson enlisted in Tasmania at the beginning of the war. Because of previous military training in Australia he was granted the rank of Lieutenant with the 12th Battalion. He embarked on 20th October 1914 and then served throughout the Gallipoli campaign, being wounded once and then later promoted to the rank of Captain.

In early 1916 he was promoted to Major with the 52nd Battalion and served on the Western Front where he transferred back to the 12th Battalion in July, 1917. In September of 1917 he was again wounded (GSW to right arm) at Ypres. As a result of this action he was also deafened in one ear and complained of constant 'buzzing' in his head. He was then transferred to England for return to Australia and on the 3rd December, 1918 boarded the 'Port Hacking' as Officer in Charge of troops aboard.

On Christmas eve, 1918, whilst in his cabin, McPherson took his service revolver and shot himself in the chest. Although medical help was readily at hand, he died about 10 minutes later.

He was buried in the Red Sea that same day and is remembered on the Villers Bretonneux Memorial.

I have located a photo of Major McPherson in the AWM files and attached it. In the following two posts I have also attached a report regarding the death of McPherson and his final Will which he made out before comitting suicide. It was found in the cabin with his belongings.

Tim L.

post-1-1098233923.jpg

And his last Will. After all those years and to be finally on his way home.....I wonder what drove him to this last desperate act on Xmas eve and I wonder who he refers to in his Will.....

post-1-1098234209.jpg

A very sad story indeed - but a very nice piece of reseach as well.

I wonder how much money was left to Pte Bell? Is it possible to know when the will was made?

Conjecture on this will run and run. Maybe he was suffering from guilt of having survived, and just couldn't face the reward of returning home?

Here's a list of his personal effects made out immediately after his death. It lists there being cash of around 11 pounds so I imagine this is what was left for Pte BELL.

post-1-1098241341.jpg

G'day Tim

Very sad story about this officer. To go through all the war only for that to occur.

There's a historian here in WA who is about to embark on the history of the 52nd Bn, so I'm sure he would be very interested in this story.

Regards

Andrew

As Jon has said above, conjecture on this will run and run

I think that the date, ‘Christmas eve’ is significant; I am sure that I have seen statistics somewhere that this date and ‘New Years’ are particularly difficult for those who are alone and suffering from depression.

Secondly, it was mentioned that after his service at the front he was deaf and suffered from buzzing in the ears. For those who do not suffer from tinnitus it is difficult to appreciate what it means for one to hear a constant stream of noise, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. First of all, it makes it nearly impossible for one to fall asleep. [The only advice which the doctors could offer me, and which I have followed for over 20 years, is to use a tape, or nowadays a disc, of music to fall asleep to.] Being no doubt already physically and mentally run down after four years active service then this may have been the last straw for Major McPherson

A very sad end

Michael D.R.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing this part of Major McPherson's story.

It seems he had a lot against him.

It's said that in 'normal' life, suicide rates increase around Christmas - And after 4 years of war, the thoughts of fitting back in to civilian life must have been hard on all soldiers.

Being deafened in 1 ear and enduring a constant buzzing in your head would be enough on it's own to send you into despair. Imagine the feeling of unreality only half hearing the world around you - yet never being able to hear your own thoughts!

It would be interesting to know what he was going home to as well - a father & family that he thought would never accept him as he now was - or perhaps he just couldn't bear the thought of being a burden on them.

His striking image (photo) was obviously taken before, unfortunately, like his compass & 3 out of 4 of his watches, Major McPherson was broken.

I hope he found peace, Frev.

'To those who have murdered me'

Theres a pretty strong indication that he was blaming the authorities for his demise. It may have been a case of post war survivors guilt, but I cannot help but wonder if there is not something more to this story.

One interesting point is that he was transfered from one Bn to another. That's unusual.

The other that he left his money to his batman. (Having said that, it may have been an insignificant amount)

There is the possibility that he was being retired from active service as he had lost his ability to perform his duties, and that this was the catalyst for his suicide.

Either way, not the nicest end for anyone.

Thanks for sharing with us this sad story. The same kind of death happened to Lieut Maxwell Stewart who served with 3rd LH but was then transferred to 13th fieldCoy Aus Eng as a lieut. He received multiple gunshot wounds and extensive flesh wounds from the left buttock down his back and left thigh also over his left upper arm and hand during the battle of Messines on 9 june 1917. Taken aboard hospital ship "Kanowna".On 31/7/1917 he was found out of his ward.. dazed and disorientated, asking if ".. the colonel would have him thrown overboard..".Maxwell said " but I want to be shot first.I don't want to be in a lifebelt for days in the water".After being taken to bed and given a hypodermic injection of morphia, at 4;00 am he asked for a glass of water and as the nurse went to fetch this, Pte Were was assigned to watch Stewart. According to the official report on Stewart's death, Were "felt the patient brush past him and saw him leap over the rail without appearing to touch it .He rushed to clutch him but it was too late.."

He was just 24 years old.

Lieut M.Stewart is commemorated on VB memorial.Lest We Forget.

Yves

These stories really emphasize the physical and mental stress that those guys were subject to. It has been claimed that the commanding generals were under extreme stress but I suspect these young men were under stress of a different order.

The list of contents is interesting. One wonders why he needed 5 whistles, 3 sets of spurs, 2 walking sticks and 4 watches. Surprising, too, that he would have his sword with him in France. I take it that a Trench Coat would be a gaberdine type coat as opposed to a woollen British Warm? Phil B

Tim,

Thanks for sharing that with us, a very sad story indeed. Nicely put togeher Tim.

Andy