The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

GERMAN POW CAMPS

jay

I am still trying to trace my Grandads footsteps after he as taken prisioner at Berry au bac on the 27.5.1918.is there any site that can give me a list of German prison camps or holding camps around that area.Any help Any help would be appreciated.I have looked on the p.o.w. data base but he is not listed

cheers Allen :)

ps MAULERT FOUNTAIN ?Iwonder if that ring a bell with anybody

I went to a Western Front meeting recently and the talk topic was POW camps. During the talk, a book was shown and discussed (the speaker, who is the Secretary of the branch had the actual book) If I remember rightly it was called 'German and Austrian POW camps' and was written by a woman, a Mrs H ???. I cant remember and didnt write it down, but I could find out the authoress's name for you when I go to the next meeting (first Mon of the month) and perhaps a bit more detail of the books contents. Just a though...

I am doing the same as you and trying to find out where my grandfather was held captive (see topic 'Austrian POW Camps' in this subject forum for photo). i have documents from the prison camp but cannot locate a name for the camp he was held at on them!! very frustrating and i have had them translated as they are written in German or Austrian.

post-6-1098306546.jpg

Allen

My grandfather is the man on the top row, far left.

Lindsey

Allen & Lindsey

I asked a question about Merseberg POW camp and was given some information.

I think the book might have been written by Mrs Pope-Hennessy.

Regards Chris

thanks lindsey,chris,for your intrest

all I know is that he seemed to be moved about abit according to his notes,maybe they had nowhere to keep them permantally due to the high number of prisioners taken around that time.

I am getting the writing on the back of the german gaurds card enhanced at our photographic Department at college and hopefully get another couple of place names but the writing is very faint.we have also discovered on the back of the british pow photo the faint outlines of a map???

cheers Allen :)

Allen

I found my original posting and it was STEVEM who gave me the information.

Hope this helps.

Chris

the reprint guide is published by the Imperial War Museum and can be purchased via their web site

The book reference is Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria by Mrs Pope-Hennessey. Published by Nisbet & Co. It has been reprinted by the Imperial War Museum and can still be purchase from them.

It is a list of the main camps and does not include any of the work camps or smaller detachments of prisoners who were sent out to work. There are approximately 180 camps listed, in some cases rough estimates of prisoners held is given. The list also differentiates between officer and other rank camps. As can be seen on the Behind the Wire: 1914 – 1918 British prisoners of War Database the list of locations prisoners were held is much greater.

I am happy to look up any camps and give the details from the book if required.

It is very hard to follow the progress of prisoners once they have been captured. If you are lucky enough to have or letter/cards sent by prisoners they may have been sent on special camp stationary or may have camp censor marks it can be done. In addition, I think if men were working away from the camp their mail would still go via the main camp.

Service papers of British troops dont often give anything other than their initial camp. Canadian soldiers paper seem to have more details of camp transfers if they occurred.

Regards

Steve

The book reference is Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria by Mrs Pope-Hennessey. Published by Nisbet & Co. It has been reprinted by the Imperial War Museum and can still be purchase from them.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reference to this book. I have searched the IWM bookshop but cannot seem to locate it.

Robbie

Hi Robbie

I copied the bit about it being for sale via the IWM from manxman's post. I got my copy from the Naval And Military Press.

Regards

Steve

Hi Robbie

I copied the bit about it being for sale via the IWM from manxman's post. I got my copy from the Naval And Military Press.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just ordered my copy. Thanks for being so helpful.

Robbie

Steve, I have papers written in German and letters sent from wherever it was he was held, and despite having the papers translated, I cannot come up with a camp location. i could scan the papers to you or alternativley,enlist the help of a much appreciated friend who can 'resize' them small enough to post on this site.

Lindsey

Ps, Thanks to all who identified the book I referred to. The book was by Mrs Pope Hennessy and I knew it had a H in it somewhere!!! I shall be hoping to get my copy soon too, thanks for that to.

Lindsey

Hi all,

Yesterday I received my copy of Mrs Pope-Hennessy's book: Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria. In addition to the large map there is a list of all camps with numbers of, and descriptions of, prisoners held.

So if anyone wants me to look up information etc. i am pleased to do so.

Robbie

Hi Robbie

I was given the following information about a camp in Merseberg from that book.

[Yes there was a POW camp at Merseburg. Pope-Hennessy's list gives the following information:

"An ancient cathedral town on the Saale (population 21 000). The prison camp consists of eight compounds of three barracks each, divided by wire. Capacity 25 000. It is placed on the infantry drill ground a short distance from the ground, and is an assembly camp from which men are drafted out to working camps. 4th Army Corps."]

Can you tell me if that is all the information there is ,or can you tell me any more.

Chris

Hi Chris,

No, I'm sorry that is all there is listed under this camp.

Robbie

No Myrtle I'm sorry there isn't. Did it have another name as well?

Robbie

Apart from the Pope-Hennessy book (for which I've never had a date, 1918 I imagine),

there is also

British Red Cross and Order of St John, January 1919, List of Internment Camps for British Prisoners of War in Enemy Countries, issued in connection with the work of the Central Prisoners of War Committee, 4 Thurloe Place, London SW7

which I've looked at in the IWM library a while ago, and also very useful

Cox & Co., 1919, British Officers taken prisoner in the various theatres of war between August 1914 and November 1918. London. (There's a copy of this at Kew also)

Julian