The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Army

stephen binks

Could anybody advise on brief overview of the service in the German Army and how their conscription worked prior to the great war. I am interested in the "August Volunteers" which from my readings so far indicate they were recruited outside normal conscription?

Firstly, during peacetime the German Army could not cope with the numbers of able-bodied men coming of military age each year, so not all served in the 'regular' conscription schedule. This surplus - and those who were not fit to undertake proper military service - were enrolled in the militia force, Landsturm, throughout, and much of the following did not apply.

Anyhow, from what I've read:

17-20 Landsturm (Militia) Class I

20-23 Full-time Regular service (3 yrs in cavalry (and artillery?), 2yrs elsewhere)

23-27 Regular reserves - immediately able to rejoin regular units upon mobilisation without re-training etc. (Those who spent 3yrs in Army only spent 4 in reserve, others five years.)

27-39 Landwehr (Territorials).

39-45 Landsturm Class II

In 1914 the Germans used their Regular army and Territorials immediately upon mobilisation. I think their were 8.5 million Germans with (some) military training eligible for call-up in 1914.

Richard

Thank you Richard for your reply. Do you know much about the "August Volunteers"?