The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Farm labour camp at Pressel, nr Bad Düben, Saxony

Half-pint

Hello:

Our grandfather, H.N. Causton, was part of a group of ten POWs who were moved from Stendal to a village called Pressel (near Leipzig) in 1918. Three of the men --H.N. Causton, Frank Andrews, and Henry Hogg-- were directed to work on the grounds of the Schloße (castle) in the village, while the remaining seven worked on a large farm nearby. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the names of those other seven men.

H.N. Causton was a Private in the 28th (Northwest) Btn CEF. I do not know which regiments or battalions (British or Canadian) were Frank Andrews' and Henry Hogg's. Grandad did say that, like himself, they were Englishmen. However, also like Grandad, they might have enlisted with the CEF.

I didn't find these names or the village of Pressel (or of towns nearby, such as Bad Düben) in the POW database online at Chris Baker's "Behind the Wire: 1914-1918 British Prisoners of War database" (index) at http://www.1914-1918.net/POW/index.php.

So, on the (very remote) offchance that descendants of Frank Andrews or Henry Hogg ever check into this Great War Forum, hopefully this information will be of use to them and, of course, it would be lovely to make contact.

Regards,

Alison Causton