The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book on Gheluvelt?

Hello. Can anyone recommend a book that focuses on the battle of Gheluvelt?

I have all the war diaries and published Regimental histories and the OH.... so I am looking for a book that dives deeply into this battle.

Hi Martin:

There is nothing, not least because the actions at Gheluvelt cannot really be separated from what was going on north and south of the Menin Road. Add to that the state of all the units involved - German as well as British and indeed French - and the consequent largely inadequate WDs - your best bet is the OH - for all its faults - and Jack's book on the German Army at Ypres 1914.

I have written a book in 2002 that covers the whole 1914-1918 period from both sides (and even before and after the war). Only in Dutch though and completely sold out...

If you are able to read Dutch, you can try and get it through your library.

http://www.wo1.be/nl/literatuur/item/halfweg-menin-road-en-ypernstrasse-gheluvelt-1914-1918

Jan

Hi Martin:

There is nothing, not least because the actions at Gheluvelt cannot really be separated from what was going on north and south of the Menin Road. Add to that the state of all the units involved - German as well as British and indeed French - and the consequent largely inadequate WDs - your best bet is the OH - for all its faults - and Jack's book on the German Army at Ypres 1914.

Thank you. Very informative. MG

I have written a book in 2002 that covers the whole 1914-1918 period from both sides (and even before and after the war). Only in Dutch though and completely sold out...

If you are able to read Dutch, you can try and get it through your library.

http://www.wo1.be/nl/literatuur/item/halfweg-menin-road-en-ypernstrasse-gheluvelt-1914-1918

Jan

Dank u. In nederlands ik spreek maar een bieetje

My Grandfather (see signature) recommends Jan's book as well. Having fought and being wounded at Gheluvelt, his short form bio is written on 2 pages..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have a copy and it is well researched with excellent maps and photos.

Found our copy in a 2nd hand book shop in York of all places.

We have a copy and it is well researched with excellent maps and photos.

Found our copy in a 2nd hand book shop in York of all places.

I'm glad you like it! The maps and photos make it possible indeed to enjoy it even if one doesn't understand Dutch that well.

• 1 month later...

The official history book of the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment during the Great War is excellent and contains plenty of information of the Queens at Gheluvelt. My g/grandfather was in 1 Queens and was killed at Gheluvelt on 31st Oct 1914.

Stewart