The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

22nd Bn Durham Light Infantry

Guest ByronEmu

Does anyone have a copy of the War Diary for the 22nd Bn Durham Light Infantry? Or any other information about them?

My Grandad (Sergeant Frederick Rowlinson 44046) was with them between April 1915 and November 1917.

Rob

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Rob

22 DLI was formed on 1 October 1915, as a Pioneer battalion,the first recruits went into billets in West Hartlepool on the 11th and the War Office took over the battalion on 9 March 1916.

On 16 June 1916 it embarked for France, being allocated to 19 Division and on 2 July 1916 it was posted to 8 Division.

For an idea of what 22 DLI were involved in on the Somme I recommend that you check out 8 Div on the website 'The Long Long Trail' which will give you the information. I can tell you that 22 DLI were 'entrusted with strenuous work on communications across the desolation'. 22 DLI were also involved in 8 Div's attack at Bouchavesnes on 4 March 1917.

The Division was heavily involved at Third Ypres, particularly on 31 July 1917 and 16 August 1917

Fighting in April/May 1918 cost 22 DLI casualties of 19 Officers and 494 other ranks, with one company on 27 May 1918 fighting to the last man at Bouffignereux.

On 3 July 1918 22 DLI was absorbed by 1/7 DLI.

During the war 22 DLI had 526 n.c.o.s and men killed.

Your grandfather couldn't have been with them from April 1915 as they didn't form until October, so he may have been with another battalion. Where did he go in November 1917.

For more detailed information I recommend that you contact the DLI Museum in Durham City, where you will find Steve Shannon very helpful.

All the best

SEAN

• 2 weeks later...