The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unveiling Welsh National Memorial Langemark

BatterySergeantMajor

A good turnout from Wales - emotional

I'm there next week (doing the mother-in-laws washing up) so will escape and get to the Welsh memorial. Is the Hedd Wynn nearby did someone say?

Hedd Wyn is indeed buried in Artillery Wood Cem. (Boezinge), a mile or so west from the Welsh Memorial.

The plaque of Hedd Wyn is near the Memorial. Some 100 meters direction Langemark. On the corner house.

(He was originally buried in a later moved cemetery. (Location : when going to Artillery Wood, from the Memorial, in Pilkem turn right in the Bikschotestraat. Approx. 100 meters. Corner of the street with the former railroad (now bicycle path).

Aurel

A lot of Welshmen killed at Pilkem Ridge are also buried at New Irish Farm. My granddaughters laid a wreath there the other week in honour of soldiers from their locality, including Private William Williams who lived a couple of doors down from their house in Tremadog. Thanks to the problems caused by the N38, I suspect that it is the most difficult to get to of the large CWGC cemeteries around Ieper, despite its proximity to the main road.

The unveiling ceremony was superb last weekend. I am sorry to have missed any Forum chums who were there. Ayesha and I were seated by eleven thirty, so as to get a good view, and I kept looking out for anyone I knew, so sorry if I didn't spot folks. I have to say that the single most impressive figure present, I thought, was the German representative, from the Immelmann Geschwader, who stood like a statue for two hours in the sunshine. It doubt that anyone present would have minded if he had laid a wreath.....after all, his forebears were there too.

it is certain to become a further spot to stop whilst touring the salient.

Buce

Glad to say that my wife and I were also at the ceremony, proud to be Welsh that day but also grateful for the sacrifice of all nationalities.

A lot of Welshmen killed at Pilkem Ridge are also buried at New Irish Farm. My granddaughters laid a wreath there the other week in honour of soldiers from their locality, including Private William Williams who lived a couple of doors down from their house in Tremadog. Thanks to the problems caused by the N38, I suspect that it is the most difficult to get to of the large CWGC cemeteries around Ieper, despite its proximity to the main road.

Mark

We visited New Irish Farm on the Friday morning as Private William Williams is my wife's great, great uncle a brother to her great grandmother. My wife had never been to visit his grave but I have been twice. Thanks to you and your family for remembering him.

Aled

.... I have to say that the single most impressive figure present, I thought, was the German representative, from the Immelmann Geschwader, who stood like a statue for two hours in the sunshine. It doubt that anyone present would have minded if he had laid a wreath.....after all, his forebears were there too.

Buce

Bruce, the individual you mentioned is very likely not a national representative and even more, not an active serving officer at all. He is breaching the German military uniform dress code (ZDv37/10) grossly. If a German member of the forces will attend such a ceremony in a foreign country, he needs to have a special permission from DoD. The permission will be coupled to strictly adhere to military uniform dress code, especially when attending a foreign country ceremony. He probably is a privateer or reservist who does not remember the proper code of conduct and dress code, neither how to wear the "Großer Dienstanzug", nor the "Kleiner Dienstanzug".

Although I really do like the attendance of German forces in such an event out of mutual respect- but please with correct standards and no such fantasy uniforms.

Thanks for the photo's and positive comments. Don't know if I'll do this for a third time (or fourth, if counting in the liason job for the Black Watch Corner project), although there might be some more modest projects in the pipeline for 2017...