The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Marshal Joffre

Old Tom

This book of 190 pages (less notes etc) by Andre Bourachot (published in France in 2010), translated by Andrew Uffindell , and published in England by Pen and Sword in 2014 is an account of Joffre’s career from the time of his appointment as Chief of the General Staff and C in C designate in July 1911 until his dismissal in 1916. Andre Bourachot was a military engineer and retired as Engineer-in Chief in 1998. Before his appointment as CGS Joffre had been Director of Engineers.

The subject matter is covered in 10 chapters. Opening with concise accounts of Joffre’s appointment, his part in seeking to interpret the ‘offensive’, the preparation of Plan XVII and preparation for war including increasing the size of the army by extending the period of conscripted soldiers to 3 years. These chapters are followed by Joffre’s part in the Battle of the Frontiers, his relations with Gallieni at the time of the Marne, attrition and Verdun. The final two chapters address his relations with politicians and the ‘ generaux limoges’. It is noteworthy that in 1914 the French army needed about 160 generals and 260 brigadiers (modern British terms) and there were only 120 and 220 available. The balance being made up of reservists, some elderly as the age limits for active service were 65 and 62 for these ranks. Some 80% of general officers were dismissed in the first two years of war.

I read this interesting book having little prior knowledge of the French army and found it gave an excellent impression of the state of that army in the years before the war, the very different military-political relations in France compared with in Great Britain, and an understanding of the conduct of the early part of the war from the French point of view. From a British point of view , in my opinion, the French was disadvantaged by not having fought the equivalent of the Boer War. Paraphrasing the last paragraph – Joffre gave this anthill a mighty kick in August 1914 and the most prominent of dismissed offers was Joffre himself.

The sub title ‘The triumphs, failures and controversies of France’s Commander in Chief in the Great War’ is well chosen.

Old Tom

The French (and British) were disadvantaged by not paying the proper attention to the lessons of the Russo-Japanese War and by drawing the wrong conclusions from the Balkans War (and the Franco-Prussian War). And, as the British appear to have learned ****** all from the Boer War, I'm not sure what the French, seduced by the all conquering wonder of the 75 mm field gun, would have learned either.

Anyway, I have this book too but have not yet got round to reading it. I have also bought Joffre's memoirs and suspect it will be interesting to read the two in tandem.

I would suggest the lessons from the Boer War included the need to improve musketry, the value of field howitzers. Also many officers gained experience of warfare. French officers serving in 1914 had hardly any such experience, a few senior officers had been very junior officers in 1870.

Old Tom