The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadians in Egypt?

Andrew P

Greetings

I'm currently going through a diary of an AMC soldier and under the date of March 12th 1916 he states that

"Cairo streets were packed with locals and soldiers, predominating in numbers as under, Australians, English, New Zealanders, Indians, Maoris and Canadians"

Can any Pal tell me what Canadian units were in Egypt in March 1916?

I have assumed he means Newfoundlanders but you know what they saw about assumptions.

Thanks

Andrew

Can any Pal tell me what Canadian units were in Egypt in March 1916?

I have assumed he means Newfoundlanders but you know what they saw about assumptions.

Thanks

Andrew

No. 5 Canadian Stationary Hospital was in Cairo until March or April 1916.

No. 5 Canadian Stationary Hospital was in Cairo until March or April 1916.

Thanks James. Was this the same Canadian Stationary Hospital which was at Lemnos in 1915?

Hi fellows,

A total of five Canadian hospital units served in the theatre, in all about 1500 people.

No.1 and No.3 Stationary Hospitals went directly to Lemnos in August,1915. After the evacuation of Gallipoli, No.1 moved to Salonika and No.3 to France. No.4 and No.5 General Hospitals went directly to Salonika in late 1915.

No.5 Stationary Hospital went to Cairo in August, 1915. It was later expanded from 400 to 1040 beds and re-organized as No.7 General Hospital, and remained in Cairo until April,1916, when it moved to France.

Cheers,

Terry

G'day Terry.

I have been trying to trace the movements of a rellie in 1st AIF.

On 9/7/1916 he was admitted to "1st.Can.C.C.S"

Any chance of "telling me where to go", to find out its location on that day.

Co-incidently I got to trace his movements near Wipers, and on the way home 'overnighted' in France at a BnB at Mailly Maillet.

There was lotsa Canadian WW1 stuff there and the Hostess was very pleased to tell guests that her 'villa' was a Canadian Hospital.

ooRoo

Pat

Pat, here's the page from their war diary.