The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

The clues are there to be wiki`d Ron. There weren`t a great deal of non-empire V.C. winners, but he still had to be found, so fair play.

How about this fellow with a famous namesake. Not surprising really as the "famous one" was his grandfather, who is buried in Westminster Abbey. post-95959-0-38013700-1427708837_thumb.j

Royal Engineers WW1

William G C Gladstone, MP for Kilmarnock, killed in action 1915 @ Laventie while an officer in the RWF?

Ron

Nice try Ron, but not him I`m afraid. Royal Engineers might have been a natural selection for him, considering the man from whom he was descended. This does not mean, however, that his famous grandfather was an engineer.

Granddad had a "beagle" for five years.

2629 - Charles Galton Darwin, grandson of the great man whose voyage on the Beagle led to his theory of evolution. The younger Darwin was in the Engineers in WW1 working on sound ranging of artillery and later aircraft identification through sound.

Pete.

Got him in one. Nicely wrapped up, Pete.

A certain "Jack the Ripper" intrigue surrounds this gentleman. post-95959-0-26230800-1427742697_thumb.j

To elaborate a little; #2634 was related to one of the chief ripper suspects.

Before WW1 broke out, he had been serving as an officer of the Royal Irish Regiment, but in 1914 was on the Staff.

Made changes to courts martial which resulted in many lives saved.

Brig-Gen Childs, who was instrumental in getting the Suspension of Sentences Act passed.

And I didn't use Wiki this time! Mind you, I did use the Army List for August 1914.

Ron

Superb Ron. Nailed another one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyndham_Childs

Apparently, the most likely ripper suspect was a chap called George Borlase Childs. Our man Sir Borlase Elward Wyndham Childs, became Assistant Commissioner "C", Metropolitan Police from 1921–1928. This has brought forth speculation regarding his placement as part of a cover-up. A couple of forum pages on the subject here: http://www.realityreviewed.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62&start=40

I'm sceptical about the info on the Reality Review link, and wiki's article on Jack the Ripper suspects doesn't mention G B Childs at all. However, we digress.

Ron

Next on the list might be known as a patron of the arts.

WW1 saw him awarded a Military Cross, and rising to the rank of captain.

Who is he???post-95959-0-45927600-1427793658_thumb.j

Created his own sort of cottage industry in his back yard, if you like, but a little more grand.

His legacy is still very much at the alive in this country, though now in the capable hands of his descendants.

I suspect he is Clough Williams-Ellis, architect of Portmeirion.

Ron

That`s another great guess, but not correct this time, Ron.

Look more to the arts.

How about John Christie, founder of Glyndebourne?

Ron

I think you have definately nailed it there Ron - John Christie (opera manager)................. :thumbsup:

How about John Christie, founder of Glyndebourne?

Ron

You have indeed nailed it, Ron. You`re on a roll. Christie it is. (Had to crop the powdered wigs out of the picture.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Christie_%28opera_manager%29

EDIT> Hadn`t seen your comment about Childs, but if anything I would tend to agree. That said, his absence from the wiki page could be seen as extra weight to the cover-up theory. (Tongue in cheek) :whistle:

Edited by neverforget

Candidate number goodness knows what is a hero from the Boer war, and was a divisional commander in our war. Retired as Major General.post-95959-0-93890700-1427870720_thumb.j

You have indeed nailed it, Ron. You`re on a roll. Christie it is. (Had to crop the powdered wigs out of the picture.)

Actually, at first I thought it was the actor, William Mervyn, who played the Bishop in All Gas and Gaiters, but his dates are wrong!

Ron

The likeness to Mervyn is there for sure. He reminded me of Hitchcock too somehow.

Anyway, back to #2645: Born in London, but commanded overseas troops up until late 1916, before taking over a British division.

Knighted before the end of hostilities, for his part in them.

The likeness to Mervyn is there for sure. He reminded me of Hitchcock too somehow.

Anyway, back to #2645: Born in London, but commanded overseas troops up until late 1916, before taking over a British division.

Knighted before the end of hostilities, for his part in them.

Is he Sir George Gorringe? He commanded the Third Indian Army Corps until 1916, and then the 57th Division in France.

Is he Sir George Gorringe? He commanded the Third Indian Army Corps until 1916, and then the 57th Division in France.

Sounds good to me and I am sure that questionmaster Plumb will be along shortly to confirm (or deny), but in the meantime happy birthday uncle; many happy returns.

Pete.

Sounds good to me and I am sure that questionmaster Plumb will be along shortly to confirm (or deny), but in the meantime happy birthday uncle; many happy returns.

Pete.

Thanks very much Pete.

Gorringe: I see that according to the "University of Birmingham Centre for First World War Studies (Generals' Nicknames)" (yes, there is such a thing), "His nickname, Bloody Orange, is rhyming slang. It was said to be appropriate for the commander of a division of London Territorials and also fitted his rude and unpleasant personality."

David would appear to be back on the Forum, but ...

Sorry chaps, been at work today. Many happy returns uncle, however, the man from del monte, he says no to Mr Orange. Will give you a bit more when I get home about half six.

You`re welcome. and for a special birthday gift of a clue for #2645 I will just say "Delville Wood."