The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2645 is Henry Lukin, commander of the 1st South African Brigade that fought in Deville Wood. As luck would have it I am trying to precis the activities of the 8th Black Watch in July 1916 who were fighting alonside the South Africans in Longueval.

Pete.

I`ll do my best to keep `em coming till I get some reinforcements.

Who is this ???post-95959-0-59101800-1428003019_thumb.j

Killed at Gallipoli

Is 2656 Bridges? He's the only senior casualty I can think of but I'm not confident.

Pete.

He

Is 2656 Bridges? He's the only senior casualty I can think of but I'm not confident.

Pete.

He isn`t Pete, but when I saw that it was you who had posted, I was surprised to see you hadn`t got him, as I thought he might be right up your street. If not, then at least the right side of the park. :whistle:

He

He isn`t Pete, but when I saw that it was you who had posted, I was surprised to see you hadn`t got him, as I thought he might be right up your street. If not, then at least the right side of the park. :whistle:

I am slightly miffed that I can't get it because I have recently read the boy Hart on Gallipoli and I think I should know. Pete is very hard on some of the officers who got themselves killed. I haven't got the book to hand unfortunately.

2656 - a bit of lateral thinking and some ferreting in cyberspace takes me to Brigadier General Paul Kenna VC, interesting story, thanks mate.

Pete.

Bluenose Brigadier General Kenna it is, Pete. Back of the net again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Aloysius_Kenna

Must hit the sack now unfortunately. 4.15am start again tomorrow.

Thanks matey. I have a couple to post for tomorrow. Sleep well.

When, in 1914, Andrew Fisher declared that Australia would defend Britain to the last man and the last shilling, this chap said he would be that last man. Who is he, and what made him so chippy ? ? ?

post-108430-0-60054600-1428058220_thumb.

Stuck at work till 6, and can't see that picture very well on my phone, but I know that Sidney Jacka was a carpenter. Could it be him?

Stuck at work till 6, and can't see that picture very well on my phone, but I know that Sidney Jacka was a carpenter. Could it be him?

No. By 'chippy' I meant 'resentful'.

Ted Mathews? The last Anzac.

Ted Mathews? The last Anzac.

No. He refused to have anything to do with the Great War. He implied that he would be the very last man in Australia to enlist.

Clue:

Q. Who would your favourite actor be?

A. Edward Woodward would.

My thanks to Benny Hill for this feeble joke, c. 1975.

Tough one this. Just can`t see through the clues. Frank Tudor?

Tough one this. Just can`t see through the clues. Frank Tudor?

Not he NF, no.

So - we can see from his photograph that he is a military man. Yet in 1914 his resentment is such that he says he would be the last man in Australia to enlist. So from which conflict has his resentment come? What wrong or injustice has taken place?

And what on earth does this have to do with Edward Woodward?

Not he NF, no.

So - we can see from his photograph that he is a military man. Yet in 1914 his resentment is such that he says he would be the last man in Australia to enlist. So from which conflict has his resentment come? What wrong or injustice has taken place?

And what on earth does this have to do with Edward Woodward?

I think the connection with Woodward would be Breaker Morant, so I`ll go for Henry Picton, as he was cashiered following the court martial?

I think the connection with Woodward would be Breaker Morant, so I`ll go for Henry Picton, as he was cashiered following the court martial?

Almost there. Morant, Picton and my man were indeed scapegoats of the Empire.

Almost there. Morant, Picton and my man were indeed scapegoats of the Empire.

Ah yes! It`s George Witton. Quite a shocking tale.

Ah yes! It`s George Witton. Quite a shocking tale.

Indeed. The whole business of Australia being the only combatant nation not to adopt conscription is an interesting topic. Influenced perhaps by the large Irish immigrant population.

http://www.bwm.org.au/site/George_Witton.asp

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww1/homefront/conscription.html

Off the top of my head I seem to remember that they were the only ones not to commute the death sentences too. All in all I think we`ve seen many times on the forum that the Aussies wrote their own rules.

Wouldn`t have minded having them alongside me when it came to it though.

I`ll leave you with this major role player in the July crisis and then say goodnight. I don`t think you will have too much trouble with this one.

post-95959-0-71616500-1428092031_thumb.j

Conrad von Hotzendorf, Chief of the Austrian General Staff.

Ron

Conrad von Hotzendorf, Chief of the Austrian General Staff.

Ron

Right first time Ron. Didn`t think he would last long. Surprising to see he hadn`t yet featured.

That`s it from me till tomorrow. Over and out.