The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Good grief! The thread staggers on with its few (its precious few) crazed adherents, Well, here's a bod - a musical one -who deserves to be recognised, nay, lauded. But who is he?

post-12111-0-77722800-1428172899_thumb.j

Good grief! The thread staggers on with its few (its precious few) crazed adherents, Well, here's a bod - a musical one -who deserves to be recognised, nay, lauded. But who is he?

How about Harry Lauder's son John, who was killed on the Somme in 1916? An interesting article about him here:

http://www.firstfoot.com/Great%20Scot/lauder.htm

The article says he was despised by his men, who may have murdered him.

Sorry, Uncle George, this cove is a classical composer.

How about Harry Lauder's son John, who was killed on the Somme in 1916? An interesting article about him here:http://www.firstfoot.com/Great%20Scot/lauder.htm

The article says he was despised by his men, who may have murdered him.

From the memoirs of Harry Lauder:

"My whole perspective was changed by my visit to the front. Never again shall I know those moments of black despair that used to come to me. In my thoughts I shall never be far away from the little cemetery hard by the Bapaume road. And life would not be worth the living for me did I not believe that each day brings me nearer to seeing him again."

Another of those remarkable women. But who is she ? ? ?

Is she Anna Caroline Maxwell?

Charles Cuvillier? Fought in WW1

Charles Cuvillier? Fought in WW1

English chap. Survived the war. Well, apart from a leg.

Patrick Hadley? Served with the Royal Artillery and lost a leg.

Patrick Hadley? Served with the Royal Artillery and lost a leg.

Very good indeed. One of the great anthems -

Personally, I prefer Purcell's setting. I only know a couple of Hadley's compositions (the other being "I sing of a maiden") and they are not to my taste, although I think he was held in high regards at King's.

Ron

Uncle George, I`ll try Mildred Aldrich for #2678

Uncle George, I`ll try Mildred Aldrich for #2678

Sorry NF, I think I misled you by my clumsy post (2687). My remarkable woman WAS a nurse, but not an Army nurse.

EDIT - my mistake. It seems she served as a nurse for both the US Army and Navy. Apologies.

U.G. I`ve just completely fluked the answer for #2678, whilst looking for clues to post in connection with my next intended post.

He was to be Beckles Willson, the founder of the Ypres League. When the wiki page for Ypres league opened, a familiar face was staring out at me. That of Princess Beatrice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ypres_League

Amazing coincidence. Small world.

U.G. I`ve just completely fluked the answer for #2678, whilst looking for clues to post in connection with my next intended post.

He was to be Beckles Willson, the founder of the Ypres League. When the wiki page for Ypres league opened, a familiar face was staring out at me. That of Princess Beatrice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ypres_League

Amazing coincidence. Small world.

Time to put this one to bed I think. She is Esther Hasson, one of the Navy Nurses 'the Sacred Twenty'. Her Wiki page tells us that "in June 1917 ... she lost an arm. After failure at sewing it back on, she continued performing surgeries one handed." I took this extraordinary claim to mean that she continued to ASSIST in surgeries: but even this looks doubtful - Wiki do not quote a source and there is no mention of this in the article on her in the website of the Naval Historical Centre:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/pers-us/uspers-h/e-hasson.htm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Twenty

Still, her contribution was irreproachable. I hadn`t heard of the Sacred Twenty before. All good.

Another chap with a much more famous sibling. Who is he???post-95959-0-35556700-1428338246_thumb.j

Absolutist.

EDIT> Sibling was a very well known politician.

Edited by neverforget

It`s been two or three days now, so this fellow needs a bump to get him out of jail.

His famous politician brother served in WW1, and admired W.S.C. for the Gallipoli venture, in which he fought. Left the army after achieving the rank of Major.

One of their joint siblings was a missionary, and yet another was a man of the clergy.

It`s been two or three days now, so this fellow needs a bump to get him out of jail.

His famous politician brother served in WW1, and admired W.S.C. for the Gallipoli venture, in which he fought. Left the army after achieving the rank of Major.

One of their joint siblings was a missionary, and yet another was a man of the clergy.

This must be Tom Attlee.

This must be Tom Attlee.

Indeed it is, Uncle George. Good call. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27404266

Imprisoned from January 1917 to April 1919.
He had been on holiday with his brother, Clem, when war broke out in 1914.
"They went off in different directions."

Very interesting NF, a fine find.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

Does anyone recognise this divisional commander???post-95959-0-94577900-1428614788_thumb.j

Ll.G writes of what he sees as another of Haig's "unwise staff appointments":

" ... [He] was a pleasant fellow with a forbidding frown, cultivated on the Robertson model of countenance. It was supposed to give an impression of calm and ruthless strength. It was not such a success as Robertson's and there was nothing like as much behind it. [He] was not devoid of intelligence but he had not that kind of brain that triumphs over inexperience in difficult situations."

Who is he on about ? ? ?

[still no sign of our statistician, that Thomas Arnold de nos jours.]

Sir Lancelot Kiggell? Succeeded Robertson as CGS, BEF when Haig became C-in-C.

Ron

Sir Lancelot Kiggell? Succeeded Robertson as CGS, BEF when Haig became C-in-C.

Ron

Not Kiggell, no. The quote "unwise staff appointments" is from Ll.G's index, but he was writing of a command appointment.

"A few weeks before the battle [Haig] removed a General who was in command of one of the army corps in that area. By any canon of prudent leadership he ought to have chosen the best man available as his successor...[but he made] the last choice he ought to have made. It was unfair to [this man himself]. It was not fair to Gough. It was most unfair of all to the troops who were thus doomed to fight against enormous odds under a callow leader."

Then was it Lt-Gen Sir Richard Butler, given command of III Corps after the removal of Pulteney (who had commanded it since 1914) in Gough's Fifth Army. Butler was a long-time protege of Haig's.

Ron