The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Then was it Lt-Gen Sir Richard Butler, given command of III Corps after the removal of Pulteney (who had commanded it since 1914) in Gough's Fifth Army. Butler was a long-time protege of Haig's.

Ron

Indeed it was Ron. I've recently been reading of Sir Eric Geddes, and how Ll.G wanted him at the War Office as Director of Military Railways, while Haig wanted him in France as Director-General of Transportation. Haig sent Butler as an emissary, "who was so insistent and persuasive that we eventually made a compromise. It was agreed that Sir Eric would hold the two positions simultaneously."

Quotes from Ll.G's 'War Memoirs'.

#2699: Famously did not "squeal" at Ypres.

Known for his spirit of self-sacrifice and duty, he was knighted just after being wounded on the front line, and just prior to being K.I.A.

#2699: Famously did not "squeal" at Ypres.

Known for his spirit of self-sacrifice and duty, he was knighted just after being wounded on the front line, and just prior to being K.I.A.

I think this is Sir Thompson Capper.

I think this is Sir Thompson Capper.

You think right Sir. 7TH Divisional commander. "Ludicrously brave".
Stuck at work for the rest of the night so can't post any more candidates till tomorrow. Unfortunately can't post a wiki link to Capper either as I only have my phone available to me.

EDIT> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Capper

Edited by neverforget

This gentleman was considered to be one of our better divisional commanders.

post-95959-0-61913400-1429381474_thumb.j

Was about to be promoted to Corps Commander, after various successes, but unfortunately copped it.

Time to bump this one off I think.

Mortally wounded at Hooge.

His predecessor died at Amiens.

His successor might well have acquired the nick-name "sicknote", being invalided home a total of four times, each time returning to command a different division.

Major-General Hubert Hamilton of 3rd Division?

It was his successor, Major-General C J Mackenzie, who fits your description of "sicknote".

Ron

Amazingly, not him Ron. I hadn't realised there were so many sickly Generals!

You're right to look within the B.E.F. though.

I keep looking in and not having a clue who these generals are; but it is an intriguing question as to how many succumbed to illness; for example was it Grierson that had a hear attack? Equally are there two 'c's in succumbed?.*

Pete.

*Yes.

Time to bump this one off I think.

Mortally wounded at Hooge.

His predecessor died at Amiens.

His successor might well have acquired the nick-name "sicknote", being invalided home a total of four times, each time returning to command a different division.

Is he Samuel Lomax?

Is he Samuel Lomax?

He is indeed UG.

Original commander of our first division. Preceded by Grierson, who died on a train at Amiens, of course.

Mortally wounded at Hooge Chateau, he was replaced in October by Herman Landon, who lasted till November, before being replaced by David Henderson, who also lasted a month before he in turn was replaced by Haking in December.

Quite a turn around in 1st division staff for the first hectic four months of the war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Lomax

Who is this fine-looking chap ? ? ? A full general in the British army...

Is it General Sir Oliver Nugent?

Who is this fine-looking chap ? ? ? A full general in the British army...

I think he is a cavalryman and I will go as far as suggested that he is a hussar.

Another divisional commander. Had a ww2 Brigadier son of the same name.

Who is he???post-95959-0-62571200-1429474053_thumb.j

Is it General Sir Oliver Nugent?

I think he is a cavalryman and I will go as far as suggested that he is a hussar.

No, not Nugent. Yes, a Hussar.

Is 2714 Sir Bryan Mahon, who trained 10th (Irish) Div and commanded it at Gallipoli? He was Colonel of the 8th Hussars.

Ron

Is 2714 Sir Bryan Mahon, who trained 10th (Irish) Div and commanded it at Gallipoli? He was Colonel of the 8th Hussars.

Ron

Yes indeed. He commanded a flying column in the Boer War, which broke the Siege of Mafeking. He took part in the Macedonian campaign, and (briefly) commanded the Western Frontier Force. And he was a Senator of the Irish Free State.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Mahon

Yes indeed. He commanded a flying column in the Boer War, which broke the Siege of Mafeking. He took part in the Macedonian campaign, and (briefly) commanded the Western Frontier Force. And he was a Senator of the Irish Free State.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Mahon

He was also less than helpful when the Suvla operations were being planned, in that he refused to serve under a Corps commander junior to him in the Army List. As a result, Stopford was appointed to command IX Corps, a choice regarded with hindsight as poor.

But Mahon certainly understood the Irish and knew how to get the best out of them.

Ron

I may be imagining things, but it seems to me that this Thread is losing momentum. So, a clue for #2722: this man was said to be GBS's model for Cutler Walpole in 'The Doctor's Dilemma.'

There - I'm giving it away.

I may be imagining things, but it seems to me that this Thread is losing momentum. So, a clue for #2722: this man was said to be GBS's model for Cutler Walpole in 'The Doctor's Dilemma.'

There - I'm giving it away.

We certainly are stuttering along at the moment Uncle George. I am a confirmed addict, but my shift-work gets in the way sometimes, and 4x12 hour shifts often leave me too exhausted for anything but the essentials. Consequently, my WIT contributions tend to come in floods followed by famine. On the plus side though, I do get 4 days off at the end of my 4 days or nights on, and that starts tomorrow.

Anyway, back to the plot. In response to your generous clue, I will offer one for #2718: He lost a leg in WW1, and commanded a naval division.

Is your chap Almoth Wright?

Lads, the thread has gone through a few fallow periods but picks up again. Hang in there. I'm afraid I've been out to France and Belgium (not necessarily in that order) and I've been trying to write stuff so I've been out of the loop as they say. I'm also completely rubbish on British generals but I have a few fiendish photos to unleash when I have the time to give the thread my full attentlon.

Pete.

We certainly are stuttering along at the moment Uncle George. I am a confirmed addict, but my shift-work gets in the way sometimes, and 4x12 hour shifts often leave me too exhausted for anything but the essentials. Consequently, my WIT contributions tend to come in floods followed by famine. On the plus side though, I do get 4 days off at the end of my 4 days or nights on, and that starts tomorrow.

Anyway, back to the plot. In response to your generous clue, I will offer one for #2718: He lost a leg in WW1, and commanded a naval division.

Is your chap Almoth Wright?

Talking of generous clues! Your chap is Archibald Paris.

My man is not Almoth Wright, no. He was a surgeon, and a facilitator of Gillies.

Still haven`t quite figured out your chap yet, but you`re correct about mine. Major-General Sir Archibald Paris it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Paris_%28Royal_Marines_officer%29

P.S. Hope you enjoyed your trip Pete. Looking forward to pitting my wits against your WITs. :)