The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Although I still haven`t figured out the identity of #2722 yet, I do know that he has a connection to this fellow, whom I`ve no doubt you will suss straight away???post-95959-0-59132700-1429694348_thumb.j

Although I still haven`t figured out the identity of #2722 yet, I do know that he has a connection to this fellow, whom I`ve no doubt you will suss straight away???attachicon.gifki.JPG

Is he Hippolyte Morestin?

My chap was something of a forward thinker. For instance, in the 20s he advocated dietary prevention of cancer; whole foods, fruit and vegetables, sunshine, exercise. Consequently, he was dismissed as a crank.

Quite correct, uncle. I thought you might know him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippolyte_Morestin

I wonder if your fellow could be Sir William Arbuthnot Lane? He was an officer in the R.A.M.C. who might fit the bill.

Quite correct, uncle. I thought you might know him.

I wonder if your fellow could be Sir William Arbuthnot Lane? He was an officer in the R.A.M.C. who might fit the bill.

Yes! "Sir William Arbuthnot Lane was one of the greatest virtuoso British surgeons of the previous century, not to mention one of the most controversial: he mastered orthopaedic, abdominal, and ear, nose and throat surgery, pioneered surgical treatment of fractures in Britain, designed instruments still used today, and was de-registered by the General Medical Council."

Head of army surgery during GW. Overcoming government resistance, he gave Harold Gillies a ward where Gillies was able to do his pioneering work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Arbuthnot_Lane,_1st_Baronet

Well I`ve spotted the subtle gong, which I`m assuming is a gallantry medal, but not too sure of the nationality, so have been looking for Russian WW1 heroes as somewhere to start. There seems to be a strange dearth of records concerning Russian gallantry awards, except to Generals and the like, and your chap looks more like the rank and file.

Probably not Russian anyway. I think I might need a hint to get any further.

Well I`ve spotted the subtle gong, which I`m assuming is a gallantry medal, but not too sure of the nationality, so have been looking for Russian WW1 heroes as somewhere to start. There seems to be a strange dearth of records concerning Russian gallantry awards, except to Generals and the like, and your chap looks more like the rank and file.

Probably not Russian anyway. I think I might need a hint to get any further.

No, not Russian. Allied, but not French or Belgian or Italian.

been unable to participate for a bit but who is this lady ? linked to events on the western front around this date 100 years ago

Carl

ps not Albert !

No, not Russian. Allied, but not French or Belgian or Italian.

Portugese ?

Carl

post-36833-0-95145600-1429727821_thumb.j

Good to see you back, Carl. Is she Emilienne Moreau-Evrard?

Curses. Milhais was the first photograph I've recognised for ages and Carl swoops to identify him; very impressive. Chris Baker described Milhais' bravery to me last June and I was very close to where he won his award last week; not that either fact was any help whatsoever. On a related topic I was really pleased to see that the Portuguese Cemetery at Port Arthur has been given a makeover. Anyway I'm off to sulk.

Pete.

We don`t appear to have commemorated this fellow`s achievements here yet, so I`ll offer him up for recognition.post-95959-0-99778700-1429814671_thumb.j

Architect and author.

Is it Sir Reginald Blomfield? I must have been in a couple of his last week.

Pete

Is it Sir Reginald Blomfield? I must have been in a couple of his last week.

Pete

Well spotted, Pete.

As you know, he designed several cemeteries, the Menin Gate, and, amongst other things, this post-95959-0-61583800-1429820714_thumb.j http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Blomfield

No prizes for guessing what he did, but who is he???

post-95959-0-72323400-1429866264_thumb.jpost-95959-0-14358100-1429866459_thumb.j

Is that plane a red herring? The uniform - Belgian?

The plane is no red herring, I promise you uncle, and the uniform is not Belgian.

I`m intrigued by your latest post, and awaiting a flash of inspiration.

EDIT> Could she be Marina Yurlova by any chance? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Yurlova

Edited by neverforget

The plane is no red herring, I promise you uncle, and the uniform is not Belgian.

I`m intrigued by your latest post, and awaiting a flash of inspiration.

EDIT> Could she be Marina Yurlova by any chance? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Yurlova

Then, he is of the Luftfahrtruppen?

No, not Marina. Not Russian. The father is also to be identified.

Then, he is of the Luftfahrtruppen?

He is indeed. His grandfather was one of the Thirteen Martyrs of Arad.

Then he is József Kiss.

Correct!

He was the most successful Hungarian ace in the war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zsef_Kiss

When he was eventually killed, "A sizable flyover of opposing Allied planes, including British, French, and Italians, dropped a funeral wreath with a note attached. It read: "Our last salute to our courageous foe."
Kiss's girlfriend Enrica Bonecker never married, and she visited his grave daily for the next 52 years.

Still can`t figure out U.G`s latest, but whilst searching, have come across some other remarkable women, as you do.

This is one of them. Who is she???post-95959-0-84058400-1429967519_thumb.j

Still can`t figure out U.G`s latest...

Were you to ask, "Were they Serbian?" I would reply, "Er...sort of.."