The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Were you to ask, "Were they Serbian?" I would reply, "Er...sort of.."

I can think of Milunka Savic, but can find nothing on her father. Have my doubts but worth a shot.

My #2752 lady is British. W.R.A.C.

I can think of Milunka Savic, but can find nothing on her father. Have my doubts but worth a shot.

My #2752 lady is British. W.R.A.C.

Is yours Helen Gwynn-Vaughan, she of the WAAC?

Mine - not Milunka. One of my two was a Montenegrin general.

Not Helen Gwynne-Vaughan. Definitely WRAC not WAAC.

Saw in her 110th year.

Not Helen Gwynne-Vaughan. Definitely WRAC not WAAC.

Saw in her 110th year.

Florence Green? But she served in the WRAF...

Florence Green? But she served in the WRAF...

Sorry, my mistake. WRAF is quite right, as is Florence Green. The last survivor of all WW1 veterans, not Claude Choules, as is commonly reported. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Green

I think I`ve finally found your father and daughter duo. If I`m not mistaken it is Janko Vucotic, and his daughter, Vasilija?

Sorry, my mistake. WRAF is quite right, as is Florence Green. The last survivor of all WW1 veterans, not Claude Choules, as is commonly reported. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Green

I think I`ve finally found your father and daughter duo. If I`m not mistaken it is Janko Vucotic, and his daughter, Vasilija?

Yes indeed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janko_Vukoti%C4%87

http://www.heroesofserbia.com/2014/04/the-courage-of-women-in-war-daughter-of.html

no takers for 2736 so far

the lady in question is Agent 40B. Her name was Louisa d'Havé from Gent Belgium. Her father was a local textile manufacturer. In 1915 the equipment in his factory was taken over by the Germans

to produce gas masks. She was able to get some finished masks to Belgian intelligence who then issued a warning before the attack of 22 Apr 15

Carl

no takers for 2736 so far

the lady in question is Agent 40B. Her name was Louisa d'Havé from Gent Belgium. Her father was a local textile manufacturer. In 1915 the equipment in his factory was taken over by the Germans

to produce gas masks. She was able to get some finished masks to Belgian intelligence who then issued a warning before the attack of 22 Apr 15

Carl

You must have missed my post #2738 Carl.

Wide of the mark as usual, but still.

Interesting case. Let`s have another.

Another outstanding female.post-95959-0-05812500-1430469909_thumb.j

Either the wife or mother of Emperor Hirohito of Japan?

Ron

You must have missed my post #2738 Carl.

Wide of the mark as usual, but still.

Interesting case. Let`s have another.

sorry i did miss it

Carl

Either the wife or mother of Emperor Hirohito of Japan?

Ron

Nice try Ron, but neither I`m afraid. Wrong nationality.

This member of the gentler sex was captured by the Germans, but escaped by killing a couple of them.

Another outstanding female.attachicon.giflf.jpg

Dunno who she is, but appears to be in male-style cloting (buttons on right). Was this typical ?

Dunno who she is, but appears to be in male-style cloting (buttons on right). Was this typical ?

That`s a good question, to which I don`t have the answer, but I can tell you that she fought alongside men, and died amongst them in heroic fashion.

Another picture of her here:post-95959-0-58457800-1430515430_thumb.j

That`s a good question, to which I don`t have the answer, but I can tell you that she fought alongside men, and died amongst them in heroic fashion.

Another picture of her here:attachicon.gifji.jpg

Russian ?

Another outstanding female.attachicon.giflf.j

Ecaterina Teodoroiu of Romania. I cheated, I searched Wikipedia.

This handsome young dog, photographed in uniform some years before the war, did his bit in a different role during the war :

photo.jpg

Ecaterina Teodoroiu of Romania. I cheated, I searched Wikipedia.

Searching Wiki is fair play RodB, and has bought you the correct answer. Romanian national heroine, Ecaterina Teodoroiu it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecaterina_Teodoroiu

Killed by machine-gun fire, her last words were; "Forward, men, I'm still with you!"

This handsome young dog, photographed in uniform some years before the war, did his bit in a different role during the war :

photo.jpg

What is that splendid collar badge? I'm going to say, the (pre-Haldane) Huntingdonshire Volunteers.

Ah, for some reason I was thinking along the lines of propogandists, and was about to guess Lowell Thomas.

In the light of U.G`s observation though, it seems that my initial indication was, as ever, wide of the mark.

EDIT:

Speaking of Uncle George, if anyone wants to bag this fellow, I would say that you have to get in before U.G. sees him.post-95959-0-74439000-1431193899_thumb.j

Ah, for some reason I was thinking along the lines of propogandists, and was about to guess Lowell Thomas.

In the light of U.G`s observation though, it seems that my initial indication was, as ever, wide of the mark.

EDIT:

Speaking of Uncle George, if anyone wants to bag this fellow, I would say that you have to get in before U.G. sees him.attachicon.gifip.jpg

That's Leo Amery.

Is he the same Leo Amery who worked as a codebreaker with SOE in WW2? Author of "Between Silk and Cyanide".

Is he the same Leo Amery who worked as a codebreaker with SOE in WW2? Author of "Between Silk and Cyanide".

I'd not heard so, looked it up and learned that BSaC was written by one Leo Marks.

That's Leo Amery.

Indeed it is. I thought it would be someone you knew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Amery

Indeed it is. I thought it would be someone you knew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Amery

Amery was a very good egg. Sound on India, sound on appeasement. "If he'd been a foot taller and his speeches a half hour shorter, he could have been prime minister." His son John was hanged for treason after the Second war.