The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'd not heard so, looked it up and learned that BSaC was written by one Leo Marks.

Mea culpa! I should have known better, especially as I came across my copy when sorting through some books last week.

Ron

The novelist Ford Madox Ford?

IMG_9091_opt.jpg

Not Ismay I'm afraid Uncle George. In WW1 he served as an ADC and a Brigade Major. He continued his career after the war and in WW2 he was highly regarded, particularly by Montgomery and eventually became a very senior officer, attaining a rank just one below that of his father. In the whole of his career he never fired a shot in anger . There is a Lincolnshire connection. He also gained a title linking a sturdy tree and a topographical feature.

Just as an aside, Ismay is buried in St Katherines' churchyard at Wormington in Worcestershire. Several generations of my family lived in Well Cottage, just across the road from the church.

TR

Amery was a very good egg. Sound on India, sound on appeasement. "If he'd been a foot taller and his speeches a half hour shorter, he could have been prime minister." His son John was hanged for treason after the Second war.

"Speak for England, Arthur" - I had forgotten that was him.

Is he Brian Robertson, son of Wully?

Ron

What is that splendid collar badge? I'm going to say, the (pre-Haldane) Huntingdonshire Volunteers.

photo.jpg

With the Bedfordshires, yes. This shows him circa Boer War. He was notable in WWI for noncombatant activities.

Another ADC type. Who is he ? ? ?

Long shot, but might he be the son of Paul von Hindenburg? Quite a few German generals had their sons as ADCs.

Ron

Thanks UG. If you add a moustache, the facial resemblance is what gives it away.

Ron

photo.jpg

With the Bedfordshires, yes. This shows him circa Boer War. He was notable in WWI for noncombatant activities.

Is he this chap - Theodore Hardy? Again, it looks like him but the clues don't quite match.

post-108430-0-21849600-1431429729_thumb.

How about this chap ? ? ? A victim of shameful discrimination, yet did a number of fine things.

post-108430-0-53831000-1431430161_thumb.

Is he this chap - Theodore Hardy? Again, it looks like him but the clues don't quite match.

No. But he was also concerned about the slaughter.

Yes, well done Ron. He finished his career as a General and was also Baron Robertson of Oakridge.

TR

From 1953 to 1961 he was the Chairman of the British Transport Commission, where he was succeeded by Dr Richard Beeching (now where have I heard that name before?).

I wonder whether he's the only subject on this topic (and no, I haven't read all of it!) to have had a BR diesel locomotive (Warship class D800 Sir Brian Robertson) named after him?

I wonder whether he's the only subject on this topic (and no, I haven't read all of it!) to have had a BR diesel locomotive (Warship class D800 Sir Brian Robertson) named after him?

How about the Kerr Stuart 'Haig' Class (12' Gauge) ?

• 2 weeks later...

Good find, Uncle George. Shame to see that there were no takers. I`ve been away for a couple of weeks, and consequently haven`t been able to partake. I`ve missed WIT, but have to confess that a fortnight in a cozy lochside cottage in the Sottish highlands did come with it`s compensations. Nevertheless, I`ve been looking forward to getting back to it, and sad to see that it appears to have ground to a halt.

I`ll offer up this author/politician, in an attempt to kick-start us again.

Knighted, and convicted of high treason. Who is this???post-95959-0-88287200-1432636056_thumb.j

Do I have to give a clue?

Image%201_zpsqjldbovb.png

Do I have to give a clue?

Someone might well recognise him without one, but I`m afraid I would need something to go on.

Can`t make out if he`s making dinner, or making bombs.

Clue...He was born in North Shields in 1890 and died in 1965, and yes everyone knows him. He is making dinner. He is wearing WW1 U.S. gear.