The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is this Routha Lintorn-Orman? During the GW she served in ambulance units in Serbia and became in charge of all ambulance drivers for the Red Cross. In the 20s she founded the British Fascisti.

I posted Lintorn-Orman a while back, so not her, but you`re on the right track that`s for sure.

This bad girl was involved with a very well known nude portrait.

He looks a bit like Hedd Wyn to me?

I posted Lintorn-Orman a while back, so not her, but you`re on the right track that`s for sure.

This bad girl was involved with a very well known nude portrait.

She is Mary Richardson, suffragette and prominent member of the BUF.

She is Mary Richardson, suffragette and prominent member of the BUF.

She is indeed. Well solved. https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Mary_Richardson

He looks a bit like Hedd Wyn to me?

#2850 No it's not Hedd Wyn, who was from Trawsfynydd in North Wales.

Gwynne-Vaughn? For the moment I forget the forename.

Edit: Helen Gwynne-Vaughan?

Dai, I'm sure I speak for the other inmates when I say welcome, it's good to have you on board. I've seen that face before too, haven't a clue where however.

Pete.

I`m guessing he was a miner, or have I got tunnel-vision?

Probably digging myself into a hole again.

I wonder if I might be allowed to enter this fascinating thread?

Whilst awaiting a reply, here is the first clue as to this man's identity.

A native of one of the numerous South Wales valleys, and in a reserved occupation.

attachicon.gifSoldier.jpg

Is he John Williams VC DCM MM*? He was indeed in a reserved occupation, but volunteered nonetheless.

I`m guessing he was a miner, or have I got tunnel-vision?

Probably digging myself into a hole again.

Ha. Ha.

Correct, he was a miner, but despite being in a reserved occupation, he volunteered into the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

He is more famous for being one eighth of a "Terrible" unit.

Is he John Williams VC DCM MM*? He was indeed in a reserved occupation, but volunteered nonetheless.

No it's not John Williams VC, but he has something in common with another John Williams.

David Watts?

And, sadly, one of the thirteen Welsh Rugby internationals K.I.A.

For night-owls, there is a documentary on Channel 4 at 1.35 AM tonight, about the Right Club. No doubt some recent WITters will be mentioned!

Ron

For night-owls, there is a documentary on Channel 4 at 1.35 AM tonight, about the Right Club. No doubt some recent WITters will be mentioned!

Ron

Thanks Ron - I didn't know that, but have just recorded it.

Officer's uniform, no rank insignia, so possibly a war correspondent. Clearly Australian.

Keith Murdoch? (Father of Rupert)

Ron

Officer's uniform, no rank insignia, so possibly a war correspondent. Clearly Australian.

Keith Murdoch? (Father of Rupert)

Ron

Are you sure that's the Rising Sun? It also looks like the Bedfordshire Regiment. And perhaps he's wearing his rank insignia on his sleeves...

In that case, it could be Henry Williamson, of Tarka the Otter fame, and Chronicles of Ancient Sunlight less-fame.

Ron

Edit: It is. Just found the photo.

In that case, it could be Henry Williamson, of Tarka the Otter fame, and Chronicles of Ancient Sunlight less-fame.

Ron

Edit: It is. Just found the photo.

Yes. Another BUF member and Second war internee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Williamson

Williamson told a story about his old friend T.E. Lawrence: according to Williamson, TEL was convinced that Adolf Hitler was a man who "lived only for the resurrection of his country's happiness - a nation's honour - a man who was the ideal of youth, was one who not only knew the truth, but could speak it and convey it to the minds of others. He was the corner-stone for the new, the realistic pacification of Europe."

(Richard Griffiths, op. cit.)

Williamson and TEL...

Sir David Lean a biography by Kevin Brownlow, Richard Cohen books, London 1996, page 410.

Henry Williamson's letter to David Lean, 12 May 1960.

The launch was not a complete waste of time because it produced an exchange of letters between David Lean and Henry Williamson, a close friend of Lawrence (Lawrence had been killed returning from sending a telegram to him). Somewhat discredited after the war for his sympathy for Hitler, Williamson was nonetheless an exceptional writer, admired not only for his best-known work, Tarka the Otter.

Williamson wrote to Lean: "I wish we were nearer - because I know the key to TE's behaviourism. Last night, in little lost Ilfracombe, I saw for the first time James Dean in Rebel without a cause and was moved to praise for the truth of the characters - not just a wee bit larger than life but NOT James Dean. There was TEL. But TEL was terribly hypersensitive. He was like beaten gold leaf in stale air - quivering to every pressure beyond any air drift or waft. But he had a terrible problem. He was not homosexual. He was impotent, in the sense of a wild, true animal being impotent with the wrong conditions... You have a tremendous opportunity to make a penetrating, beautiful because true and explicit film, that every man will recognise in himself - we are all part fear, part love, part hero, part coward - and as the hypersensitive TEL wrote to me, 'bust themselves trying to be bigger than they are'. TEL was noble and cocky-rude, self-immolating and Wagner like in his dreams... He was aloof, but tortured by longing for love and affection or deep friendship, as are all mammals... He is perhaps the brightest star of my life - pure oxygen - but inwardly haunted".

Williamson and TEL...

Sir David Lean a biography by Kevin Brownlow, Richard Cohen books, London 1996, page 410.

Henry Williamson's letter to David Lean, 12 May 1960.

The launch was not a complete waste of time because it produced an exchange of letters between David Lean and Henry Williamson, a close friend of Lawrence (Lawrence had been killed returning from sending a telegram to him). Somewhat discredited after the war for his sympathy for Hitler, Williamson was nonetheless an exceptional writer, admired not only for his best-known work, Tarka the Otter.

Williamson wrote to Lean: "I wish we were nearer - because I know the key to TE's behaviourism. Last night, in little lost Ilfracombe, I saw for the first time James Dean in Rebel without a cause and was moved to praise for the truth of the characters - not just a wee bit larger than life but NOT James Dean. There was TEL. But TEL was terribly hypersensitive. He was like beaten gold leaf in stale air - quivering to every pressure beyond any air drift or waft. But he had a terrible problem. He was not homosexual. He was impotent, in the sense of a wild, true animal being impotent with the wrong conditions... You have a tremendous opportunity to make a penetrating, beautiful because true and explicit film, that every man will recognise in himself - we are all part fear, part love, part hero, part coward - and as the hypersensitive TEL wrote to me, 'bust themselves trying to be bigger than they are'. TEL was noble and cocky-rude, self-immolating and Wagner like in his dreams... He was aloof, but tortured by longing for love and affection or deep friendship, as are all mammals... He is perhaps the brightest star of my life - pure oxygen - but inwardly haunted".

Griffiths: "... we can only say that it is possible that Lawrence shared Williamson's views, and even possible that he already held them independently before Williamson tried to influence him, but it is also possible that Williamson, after Lawrence's death, was projecting on to him all that he had hoped he would stand for. The comparison between Lawrence and Hitler, for example, was one that was dear to Williamson, and not necessarily one that would have occurred independently to Lawrence."